1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using magnets to hold an object in place on a large timber beam.

1. Aug 4, 2014 #1
    I am a lighting designer for tv shows and I have a problem with a location that has very low ceilings and 22" timber beams running the width of a 30ft room. The location is a listed/heritage building and therefore we cannot cause any physical damage to the property including the ceiling. I have used magnets to hold equipment in place before but was curious to the strength of magnets required to hold a 500g (led light) in place, using the 22" wood beam as a anchor point.

So my question is, can magnets penetrate 22" of thick wood and if so how big would they have to be to hold 500g in place?

Thanks
    Andy

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2014 #2
    Ridiculously huge

How about a C-clamp with padded jaws?

4. Aug 4, 2014 #3
    Hi MrSpeedyBob

That would be the normal coarse of action but the director does not want to see clamps or scaffold pipes (pressed between the beams).

It was a long shot.

Thanks
    Andy

5. Aug 4, 2014 #4
    Scaffold bars laid on top of the beams (with padding) tied down with padded slings.

6. Aug 4, 2014 #5
    Oh, do you mean that there is no gap between the ceiling and the beams?

7. Aug 4, 2014 #6
    Thats correct, their is no gap from the beam to the ceiling,and the show use multiple robotic cameras looking 360 degrees, so using traditional stands is out.

Thanks
    Andy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook