Using Moments of Inertia and Stress to Determine Maximum Load on a Beam

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
ricky_fusion
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi..

Is there anyone can explain to me or give a link that explains about condition of using Mass Moment of inertia or Area moment of inertia to Maximum Stress??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_moment_of_inertia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_moments_of_inertia"

As I knows, the stress formula is :
MaxStress.jpg


As I knows, generally, I analysis a structure of Beam, etc, I used Area Moment of Inertia. But, I have a case which the knowing data is Mass moment of Inertia.

Thanks for your helps guys.. :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ricky_fusion! :wink:
ricky_fusion said:
As I knows, generally, I analysis a structure of Beam, etc, I used Area Moment of Inertia. But, I have a case which the knowing data is Mass moment of Inertia.

moment of force = Stress times https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=185" per displacement

moment of force = angular acceleration times mass moment

I don't understand how you can find the stress from the Mass moment of Inertia ("ordinary" https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31") …

can you show us this case in which the given data is mass moment? :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Uupss...
Sorry I forgot to put put the question. :biggrin:
The question is :
How much the maximum load should be put, so the beam is not broken?

Btw,
Let's continued discussed this thread in here :
https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2206127"

Thanxs to reply guys.

Ricky
 
Last edited by a moderator: