Using onlyHow do you calculate the launch speed of an object

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the launch speed of an object using only the distance it travels and the angle of launch. The equation for this is sin^2(theta)=2sin(theta)*sin(theta) or v^2-v^2=2a delta x. The formula for range of a projectile is also mentioned, which can be found on Wikipedia. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert for their help and wondering if they should delete the thread. The expert advises them not to and encourages them to continue playing around with equations to find the desired launch speed.
hailfire
How do you calculate the launch speed of an object using only the distance it travels the angle of launch?
If there is an equation, I would be very happy if you could tell me what it is.
This is the only thing I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the projectile equations?

Yes, I do, I know it has to do with sin^2(theta)=2sin(theta)*sin(theta)
I just can't get this equation which would help get the average launch speed.

what is the projectile formula for range?

(i can't tell you the answer, as per rules of the forum)

v^2-v^2=2a delta x

I know that this is purely based on volunteer work and help, but I would appreciate it if you don't draw this out. If you can get to the point, please do.

or delta x=vt-(1/2)at^2

haha, ****, why didn't i think of wikipedia.
Thanks man!

No sarcasm there.

Do I delete this thread?

Darn The legend beat me to it. But yeah basically just play around with that formula to get [tex]v_0[/tex].EDIT: Don't delete the thread( can you even do that?), were you able to get [tex]v_0[/tex]? That is your goal, so what did you get for [tex]v_0[/tex]?

just easy stuff, playin around with equations..
You are welcome, hailfire..

@MysticDude: yup, beat you to it! :biggrin: hehe

1. How do you calculate the launch speed of an object?

The launch speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed formula: speed = distance / time.

2. What units should be used for distance and time when calculating launch speed?

Distance should be measured in meters (m) and time should be measured in seconds (s) for accurate calculation of launch speed.

3. Is launch speed the same as initial velocity?

Launch speed and initial velocity are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Launch speed refers to the speed of an object at the moment of launch, while initial velocity refers to the speed of an object at the start of its motion.

4. Can launch speed be negative?

Yes, launch speed can be negative if the object is launched in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point.

5. How does air resistance affect the launch speed of an object?

Air resistance can significantly decrease the launch speed of an object. The greater the air resistance, the slower the object will travel. This is due to the fact that air resistance acts as a force that opposes the motion of the object, making it more difficult for the object to maintain its speed.