What is the average launch speed?

In summary, the problem involves launching a basketball horizontally from a diving board and calculating the average launch speed given the average landing spot and the initial position above the water. The suggested approach is to consider the vertical motion and use the formula for time with the known initial position and acceleration due to gravity. The initial vertical component of velocity can then be found and used to calculate the average launch speed.
Angela_vaal

Homework Statement

During several practice runs you stand at the end of a diving board and launch the basketball horizontally from a position 4.50 m above the water. If the average landing spot is6.25 m horizontally from your initial position, what is the average launch speed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

avg speed=total distance/total time. but time is not stated? where do i start ?! i attached the photo of the problem

Attachments

• physics problem.png
    physics problem.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
Angela_vaal said:
where do i start ?
By thinking about the vertical motion. What do you know about the vertical components of initial and final speeds, time, distance and acceleration? From the items you know, what else can you calculate?

haruspex said:
By thinking about the vertical motion. What do you know about the vertical components of initial and final speeds, time, distance and acceleration? From the items you know, what else can you calculate?

would I calculate time using the formula y=y1+v1t-(1/2)gt^2?

Angela_vaal said:
would I calculate time using the formula y=y1+v1t-(1/2)gt^2?
What do you think?

haruspex said:
What do you think?
I'm thinking I have to calculate time somehow to get the average speed. But if i use this equation, I'm not sure how I will use this equation if I don't have the initial velocity.

Angela_vaal said:
I don't have the initial velocity.
You just need the initial vertical component of velocity:
Angela_vaal said:
launch the basketball horizontally

What is the average launch speed?

The average launch speed refers to the average velocity at which an object is launched into the air. This can vary depending on the type of launch and the object being launched.

Is there a universal average launch speed?

No, there is no universal average launch speed as it can differ greatly depending on the context of the launch. For example, the average launch speed for a rocket is much higher than the average launch speed for a basketball.

How is average launch speed calculated?

Average launch speed is typically calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the object by the time it takes for the object to reach its peak height. This can be affected by various factors such as air resistance and gravitational pull.

What is the typical range of average launch speeds?

The range of average launch speeds can vary greatly depending on the type of launch and the object being launched. For example, a typical average launch speed for a rocket can range from 7,000 to 17,000 miles per hour, while a typical average launch speed for a baseball can range from 80 to 100 miles per hour.

Can average launch speed be increased?

Yes, average launch speed can be increased by adjusting various factors such as the angle of launch, the force of the launch, and reducing air resistance. However, there may be limitations based on the physical capabilities of the object being launched.