Using period to find the equation of a function

In summary, the function f has a period of 5 and the values f(1)=4, f(2)=5, and f(4)=-2. Using the standard format for trig functions, A\sinB(x-C)+D, and given the period, it can be determined that the function is a sine function. Since the cycle of a sine curve starts at zero and ends at 2pi, and the cycle of f is 5, f(7) should be the same as f(2), which is equal to 5. Therefore, the value of f(7) is 5.
lostcompass

Homework Statement

The period of f is 5. If f(1)=4, f(2)=5, and f(4)=-2, the value of f(7) is:

Homework Equations

The standard format for trig functions is A[tex]\sin[/tex]B(x-C)+D
A is the amplitude, [tex]\frac{2\pi}{B}[/tex] is the period (for sin or cos functions), C is the phase, and D is the vertical displacement.

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the period of a function when you have the equation is easy, but doing the opposite seems to be impossible. The only way I'm going to figure out the value of f(7) is if I figure out the equation first. Presumably the function is a trig function. If it's a sin function, then the equation must be A[tex]\sin\frac{2\pi}{5}[/tex](x-C)+D, in order for the period to be 5.

Beyond that, I haven't been able to figure out what I should do, because there doesn't seem to be any real pattern to the y values, and my textbook only shows how to find the period from the equation, not how to find values when given vague information. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it seems you've been given the period which is 5. What does a period of 5 suggest about f's cycle?

Think about the definition of a period of a function. Then look at an example of e.g. f(x) = sinx. The period is 2pi. So at x = 0 and x = 2pi there is something in common. What is it?

Ok, I may be completely off the mark here, but here's what I'm thinking: the period of a function is the shortest distance you have to travel along the x-axis for the function to begin another cycle (according to my lesson book). The cycle of a sine curve starts at zero and ends at 2pi, so the value of x must always be somewhere within that cycle. The cycle of the function f is 5, so it starts at zero and ends at 5. f(5) is the end of the cycle, so f(7) should be the same as f(2), because you just keep traveling the same distance, the same curve.

In other words, f(7)=5, because f(2)=5.

That is right, isn't it?

Thanks for the help.

That's right. Good job!

Right on.

What does it mean to use the period to find the equation of a function?

Using the period to find the equation of a function means finding the mathematical expression that represents a repeating pattern in the function, based on the interval of the period.

How is the period related to the equation of a function?

The period is the distance between two consecutive repetitions of a pattern in a function. It is related to the equation of the function through its coefficient, which determines the rate of change and ultimately the shape of the graph.

Can the period be used to find the equation of any function?

Yes, the period can be used to find the equation of any periodic function, which is a function that repeats its pattern at regular intervals. This includes trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine, as well as other types of periodic functions.

What other information is needed to find the equation of a function besides the period?

In addition to the period, the equation of a function also requires the amplitude, phase shift, and vertical shift. These values can be determined by analyzing the graph of the function or given in a problem scenario.

How can the period be used to manipulate and graph a function?

The period can be used to manipulate the shape and location of a function's graph. By changing the period, the graph can be stretched or compressed horizontally. It can also be used to determine the x-values for the minimum and maximum points on the graph.