Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Riemann Upper sums to solve limits

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I often see people use the Riemann definition of the integral to solve a certain limit-series computation, but they usually just skip a step that I can follow one way but not the other. Given the integral, I can see the limit-series that comes from it, but when trying to find the integral from the limit-series I have a problem.

For example, over the interval a=0 and b=1, [tex]\int^1_0 f(x) dx = \lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{1}{n} \sum_{k=1}^{n} f\left(\frac{k}{n}\right)[/tex] using Riemann Upper sums.

So basically If required to somehow work out [tex]f(k/n) = something[/tex], so that I can re-express it in terms of f(x). So i guess the question is, does anyone know a general method to spot the function of k/n, as to find f(x) ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    I dont believe is any, rather than pure inspection.

In most examples I've seen, the sum can be worked to be on the most common form

[tex]\lim_{\Delta P\rightarrow 0}\sum_{n=0}^\infty f(x_i^*)(x_{i+1}-x_i),[/tex]

where [itex]P=\{x_0,...,x_n,...\}[/itex] and [itex]x_i^* \in (x_i,x_{i+1})[/itex], so its easier to spot the [itex]f[/itex].
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Damn I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer :( Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?