Using the condition of vector equilibrium

In summary, ritwik06 explained that the sigma is a symbol for summation and that if n equal vectors are at an angle their resultant is zero. He then offered a hint for how to solve a problem involving sigma. Finally, he explained that the sum of the components of the vectors will be zero.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Using the condition of vector equilibrium, prove that
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{2n-1}_{k=0}[/tex] cos ((k*pi)/n)

Where n is an integer.

Homework Equations

I know that if n equal vectors are at an angle (2*pi)/n
Their resultant is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please first explain to me what does this sigma signify and what is meant by its subscript and superscript. Then please give me an idea of what to do with this problem. Thanks.

Ritwik

Physics news on Phys.org
The sigma is a symbol for summation. For example

[tex] \sum_{i = 1}^{i = 5} f(i) [/tex]

just means [tex] f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + f(4) + f(5) [/tex]. The subscript is the value at which i begins, and the superscript is the value at which i ends.

ritwik06 said:
I know that if n equal vectors are at an angle (2*pi)/n
Their resultant is zero.

HI ritwik06! :smile:

Hint: Draw those n equal vectors.

What are the coordinates of their endpoints? :smile:

Using the condition of vector equilibrium, prove that:

[tex] \sum_{k = 0}^{2n-1} cos \frac{k*pi}{n}=0[/tex]
where n is an integer

Hey, help me please. Please tell me what do I have to prove.
Hey dx. I agree with your format but i don't think it is applicable with my form of question. Please help!

Last edited:
Think about the components of the vectors you mentioned in your first post. What are the components, and what should their sum be?

ritwik06 said:
Hey dx. I agree with your format but i don't think it is applicable with my form of question. Please help!

What do you mean its not applicable? All I did was show you what sigma meant, because you asked.

Precaution:
cos is upon the whole fraction {(k*pi)/n}
Please just let me know once what I need to prove. As u said dx that the superscript signifis the upperlimit of the variable. but in this case the limit itself is a variable. Please help

dx said:
Think about the components of the vectors you mentioned in your first post. What are the components, and what should their sum be?

What do you mean its not applicable? All I did was show you what sigma meant, because you asked.

Thir sum will be zero!

Oh, yes but please re chck the format of my question. Please!

No, its not. n is the number of vectors. Its not changing.

ritwik06 said:
Thir sum will be zero!

Ok, so write it out explicitly and see what its going to look like.

What is vector equilibrium?

Vector equilibrium is a state where all opposing forces and energies are balanced, resulting in a stable and harmonious system.

What are the applications of vector equilibrium?

Vector equilibrium has been applied in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and design. It can be used to explain the stability of physical structures, the balance of ecosystems, the equilibrium of market forces, and the aesthetics of design.

How is vector equilibrium achieved?

Vector equilibrium is achieved when all forces acting on a system are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This can be achieved through various means, such as adjusting the strengths or positions of the forces, or introducing new forces to counterbalance existing ones.

What are the benefits of using vector equilibrium?

Using vector equilibrium can lead to a more stable and efficient system. It can also provide insights into the relationships between different forces and how they affect the overall balance of a system.

Are there any limitations to using vector equilibrium?

While vector equilibrium can be a useful concept, it is not always applicable to all systems. Some systems may have complex or constantly changing forces that cannot be easily balanced. Additionally, the concept of vector equilibrium does not take into account external factors that may affect a system.