Using the disabled on-board graphics card as a Physics unit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a built-in graphics chip as a physics processor in addition to a dedicated graphics card. It is mentioned that some on-board chips do have the option to be used as a PhysX card, but it depends on whether the chip supports CUDA/OpenCL and has enough processing capacity. The person expresses interest in further researching this topic as there is not much reliable information available.
Pattonias
I have seen drivers that allow you to use one of a SLI cards as a physics processor. I was wondering if boards with a built in, but unused, graphics chip could be turned on and used as a physics processor. I'm not really concerned with the "why would you want to" but more the "is it possible".

Computer science news on Phys.org
You would need an onboard graphics chip that supported CUDA/OpenCL, most onboard graphics are simple chipsets (eg IntelGM950) without a lot of processing capacity and so generally don't have support for the calculation libraries.

Interesting, I will have to look more into this. Not much reliable information in this regard.

1. Can the disabled on-board graphics card be used as a Physics unit?

Yes, the disabled on-board graphics card can be used as a Physics unit. It can perform calculations and simulations just like a dedicated Physics unit.

2. How do I enable the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics calculations?

The process for enabling the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics calculations may vary depending on your computer's hardware and operating system. Generally, it can be enabled through the BIOS settings or through the graphics card driver settings.

3. Will using the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics affect my computer's performance?

Yes, using the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics may affect your computer's performance. Since it is not specifically designed for Physics calculations, it may not be as efficient as a dedicated Physics unit. This may result in slower performance or longer processing times.

4. Are there any limitations to using the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics?

Yes, there may be limitations to using the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics. It may not have as much processing power or memory as a dedicated Physics unit, which may limit the complexity of simulations and calculations it can perform.

5. Can I use the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics in all software and programs?

No, not all software and programs may be compatible with using the disabled on-board graphics card for Physics. It is important to check the system requirements and specifications of the software or program you are using to ensure compatibility with the disabled on-board graphics card.