1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the inverse hyperbolic tangent function to solve ODE

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all. I have to solve the differential equation [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = g(1 - \frac{\rho}{g}v^2)[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Apparently the solution should involve the inverse hyperbolic tangent function - with the equation in this form it should just be separable, correct? However, when separating variables I have to integrate the function [tex]\frac{dv}{1-\frac{\rho}{g}v^2}[/tex] which I am not sure how to go about. I think a substitution of some kind? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Partial fractions: [itex]1-\frac{\rho}{g}v^2= (1- \sqrt{\frac{\rho}{g}}v)(1+ \sqrt{\frac{\rho}{g}}v)[/itex].

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or v=sqrt(g/rho)*tanh(u), if you want to stick with the hyperbolic function approach. You'll get the same answer, though it will look different.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    I see it now. Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook