Using the solid angle to simplify an integral when deriving Gauss' Law

• Thread starter cwill53
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

The following is a derivation of Gauss's Law using the solid angle.

Relevant Equations:

$$\Phi _e=\oint_{S}^{} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}$$
Scannable文档创建于2020年10月1日 下午4_46_48.jpg
Scannable文档 2创建于2020年10月1日 下午4_46_48.jpg

I'm a bit confused on the derivation above. I understand what the goal of the derivation is, as it derives Gauss's Law using the solid angle, but i was wondering if someone could kind of fill in the steps the author skipped and explain the use of the solid angle.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Homework Statement:: The following is a derivation of Gauss's Law using the solid angle.
Relevant Equations:: $$\Phi _e=\oint_{S}^{} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}$$

View attachment 270332View attachment 270333

I'm a bit confused on the derivation above. I understand what the goal of the derivation is, as it derives Gauss's Law using the solid angle, but i was wondering if someone could kind of fill in the steps the author skipped and explain the use of the solid angle.
It's fairly detailed. You will need to indicate where you think some steps have been missed.

Likes cwill53
It's fairly detailed. You will need to indicate where you think some steps have been missed.
Taking a look at it again, I believe my issues can be chalked up to vector calculus weakness. I'm trying to work through it all, it will just take time. I will ask again if I'm still confused after I strengthen my calculus.