Using the solid angle to simplify an integral when deriving Gauss' Law

In summary, the conversation is about a derivation of Gauss's Law using the concept of solid angle. The person is confused about the derivation and is asking for clarification on the steps skipped and the use of solid angle. They mention that their confusion may be due to their weakness in vector calculus and will ask again if they are still confused after strengthening their skills.
cwill53
Homework Statement
The following is a derivation of Gauss's Law using the solid angle.
Relevant Equations
$$\Phi _e=\oint_{S}^{} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}$$
Scannable文档创建于2020年10月1日 下午4_46_48.jpg
Scannable文档 2创建于2020年10月1日 下午4_46_48.jpg

I'm a bit confused on the derivation above. I understand what the goal of the derivation is, as it derives Gauss's Law using the solid angle, but i was wondering if someone could kind of fill in the steps the author skipped and explain the use of the solid angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
Homework Statement:: The following is a derivation of Gauss's Law using the solid angle.
Relevant Equations:: $$\Phi _e=\oint_{S}^{} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}$$

View attachment 270332View attachment 270333

I'm a bit confused on the derivation above. I understand what the goal of the derivation is, as it derives Gauss's Law using the solid angle, but i was wondering if someone could kind of fill in the steps the author skipped and explain the use of the solid angle.
It's fairly detailed. You will need to indicate where you think some steps have been missed.

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
It's fairly detailed. You will need to indicate where you think some steps have been missed.
Taking a look at it again, I believe my issues can be chalked up to vector calculus weakness. I'm trying to work through it all, it will just take time. I will ask again if I'm still confused after I strengthen my calculus.

1. What is the solid angle and how is it related to Gauss' Law?

The solid angle is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies in three-dimensional space. It is used in Gauss' Law to simplify the calculation of electric flux, which is the amount of electric field passing through a given surface.

2. How does using the solid angle simplify the integral in Gauss' Law?

By using the solid angle, the integral in Gauss' Law can be simplified to a single variable, making it easier to solve. This is because the solid angle takes into account the angle at which the electric field lines pass through the surface, reducing the need for complex trigonometric calculations.

3. Can the solid angle be used for any shape or surface?

Yes, the solid angle can be used for any shape or surface, as long as the electric field lines are passing through it. It is a universal concept that can be applied to any situation where Gauss' Law is applicable.

4. Is the use of solid angle necessary for deriving Gauss' Law?

No, the use of solid angle is not necessary for deriving Gauss' Law. It is simply a mathematical tool that can make the calculation process easier and more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using the solid angle in Gauss' Law?

While the use of solid angle can simplify the integral in Gauss' Law, it may not always be the most efficient method. In some cases, it may be easier to use other techniques such as symmetry or vector calculus to solve the problem. Additionally, the solid angle may not be applicable in situations where the electric field lines are not passing through the surface at a constant angle.