Using thermistors as thermometers - Coursework

In summary, for the Physics Sensing Coursework on 'using thermistors as simple thermometers', the student is seeking help on setting up the circuit and using the measurements. They have already done research and have obtained the resistance of the thermistor at different temperatures. The suggestion is to include an ohmmeter in the circuit and use a lookup table or formula to determine the temperature dependence of the resistance.
rit
For my as Physics Sensing Coursework,

I have chosen to do it on 'using thermistors as simple thermometers'

Can someone please help me on how to set up the circuit. And how i do i get and use the measurements.

Thanks! In advance!
!

Physics news on Phys.org
Help me!

Read the forum rules!

i have tried myself, but i couldn't do it,

and I am not allowed to ask teachers, because ill lose lots of marks.

You don't have to do it for me, just give me hints!

rit said:
... just give me hints!
If you promise to stop using so many exclamation marks. It makes your posts difficult to read.

First question: What is "the circuit"?

Second question: Did you do a search on thermistors, thermometers, etc.?

sorry,

1) when i say circuit, i mean how to set up, e.g, what i need, i got a thermister, voltmeter,amp meter, powerpack. (dont worry about changing the temp. i got that covered.(putting water in a microwave))

2) yh, i have done my research, i got no problem with that.

I have done my experiment (well half of it, i still have to get the second set of results)

in my results i got the, resistance of the thermister at different tempertures (from the Amp meter)

e.g. at 80 c (temperture) the resistance was 0.96 k ohms.

the thing i don't get is how i use my results.

If you're allowed to include the ohmmeter in your circuit, then I'd say you're pretty much done. All you lack is a lookup table.

whats a lookup table

rit said:
whats a lookup table
A literal table. For instance, I have seen a piece of equipment that had a sticker stuck to the side with two columns of numbers: one column was the resistance value and the other column was the temperature. Alternatively (and my personal preference), a lookup table could be in the form of a formula for temperature in terms of resistance. There is a theoretical formula (that you probably found in your research) for the temperature dependence of the resistance, which has at least one unknown parameter. You can fit your experimental data to this formula to extract the parameter(s).

Thanks

1. How do thermistors work as thermometers?

Thermistors work by using electrical resistance to measure temperature. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor also changes, allowing it to accurately measure the temperature.

2. Are thermistors accurate for temperature measurements?

Yes, thermistors can be very accurate for temperature measurements, with a typical accuracy of +/-0.1 degrees Celsius.

3. What are the advantages of using thermistors as thermometers?

There are several advantages to using thermistors as thermometers, including their small size, high sensitivity, and low cost. They also have a fast response time and can be used in a wide range of temperatures.

4. Can thermistors be used for both high and low temperature measurements?

Yes, thermistors can be used for both high and low temperature measurements. However, the type of thermistor used may differ depending on the temperature range needed.

5. How are thermistors calibrated for accurate temperature readings?

Thermistors can be calibrated by comparing their resistance at known temperatures to a standardized temperature scale. This allows for accurate temperature readings to be obtained from the thermistor's resistance. Calibrating thermistors is important to ensure accurate and consistent measurements.