Emissivity and IR Thermometers

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of emissivity and its application in measuring temperature with IR thermometers. The use of a "blackbody" with an emissivity of 0.97 is mentioned, and it is explained that the thermometer's accuracy can only be estimated due to its unknown and unchangeable emissivity. The conversation also touches on the importance of expressing temperature in Kelvin and the potential errors in using a blackbody with a real temperature of 47.6°C as a reference.
ap12
Hi

I am trying to get my head around Emissivity and was wondering if anyone could help.

There is a "blackbody" with emissivity of 0.97.
We want to use it to see whether some IR thermometers are giving suitable readings. Unfortunately the emissivity of the thermometer is unknown and cannot be altered so we will only be able to estimate their accuracy.

So if the "blackbody" is set to a temperature say 50°C, will it emit 97% of this temperature? So the IR thermometer should give a reading around 50*0.97 = 48.5° if it does not include a correction?

I would be grateful of any help. I have done some reading on the subject but I am getting more confused as most websites say about adjusting the IR thermometer but this is not possible in my situation.

Many thanks

Science news on Phys.org
First: The absolute temperature scale is Kelvin, anything proportional to temperature has to be expressed in Kelvin. "97% of the Celsius-value" is meaningless, 97% of -100°C would be -97°C and therefore hotter?

A blackbody with an emissivity of 0.97 will emit 0.97 of the radiation of a perfect blackbody. 50°C correspond to ~323K. As radiation scales with the temperature to the 4th power, 3% less radiation means ~3/4% less temperature, which would correspond to ~323*0.9925=320.6K or ~47.6°C. By coincidence, this is not so far away from your value, but this has two errors which partially cancel here. Do not use my values, they are just estimates.

Keep in mind that radiation does not simply scales with temperature, the wavelength distribution gets shifted, too. A perfect blackbody with a real temperature of 47.6°C will emit the same power, but slightly shifted towards longer wavelengths.

1. What is emissivity and why is it important in IR thermometers?

Emissivity refers to the ability of a material to emit infrared radiation. In IR thermometers, it is important because it affects the accuracy of temperature readings. Different materials have different emissivity values, so it is crucial to know the emissivity of the object being measured in order to obtain an accurate temperature reading.

2. How do I determine the emissivity of an object?

The emissivity of an object can be determined by consulting a database or reference table, or by using a spectrometer or other specialized equipment. It is also possible to estimate the emissivity based on the type and surface finish of the object, but this may result in less accurate readings.

3. Can the emissivity of an object vary?

Yes, the emissivity of an object can vary depending on factors such as temperature, surface finish, and the wavelength of the infrared radiation being emitted. It is important to use the correct emissivity value for the specific conditions in order to obtain accurate temperature readings.

4. How does the distance between the IR thermometer and the object being measured affect the accuracy of the reading?

The distance between the IR thermometer and the object being measured, also known as the spot size, can affect the accuracy of the reading. The further away the thermometer is from the object, the larger the area being measured and the more likely it is to include the temperature of surrounding objects. This can result in a less accurate reading. It is recommended to maintain a consistent distance between the thermometer and the object being measured for best results.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of IR thermometer readings?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the accuracy of IR thermometer readings. These include ambient temperature, humidity, and the presence of dust or other particles in the air. It is important to minimize these factors and follow proper usage guidelines in order to obtain the most accurate temperature readings.