Using UWB to sense objects through walls

• Thread starter xpc123456789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    imaging
In summary, Nidum is researching ways to image objects behind walls using ground penetrating radar technology. However, he is having difficulty finding a transmitter and receiver that are sensitive enough to detect backscatter UWB pulses. He has bought a few Decawave DWM1000 modules, but they only work with a transmitter inside the room. He has also proposed a different idea that uses multiple CW or FM-CW transceivers to detect the echo and do some signal processing.
xpc123456789
Hi everyone.

I am currently involved in a project which is using UWB technology to sense/localise/image objects behind walls. The requirement is not to have any transceivers in the room that is going to be imaged. Currently, the idea I have is to detect the backscatter UWB pulses reflected from the objects inside, and process them by looking at their amplitude and time of arrival.

However, the main problem is to build a UWB transmitter and have a receiver with receiver sensitivity high enough to detect the backscatter pulses. I have purchased a few Decawave DWM1000 modules to try it out, but they only work by having a transmitter inside the room for the two way ranging method to work.

Does anyone have any experience related to this topic or UWB technology, please help me out with any ideas that are feasible, or any design plans I should have.

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google ground penetrating radar and wall penetrating radar .

To generate a crude image you are going to need an array of antennas. The number of elements in the array will decide the detail available in the image.

If you only want x, y position of say a single person walking on the floor of another room then you can do that with a horizontal array of three or more elements.
Do you need vertical image components also?

Simple "Time Of Arrival" will give only the nearest reflector. Later arrivals will be ignored or hidden in the noise.

@Nidum thanks. I have looked at those, hence the proposal I made using CW radars.

@Baluncore our initial plan was to include both horizontal and vertical. And yes I have thought of that as the DWM1000s were programmed only to receive the nearest path.

Therefore, I have proposed another idea without using UWB. I plan to use multiple CW or FM-CW transceivers, and try to detect the echo and do some signal processing. Does anyone have experience in using CW radars for through-wall imaging/localising/tracking? Please do share them, thanks a lot.

1. How does UWB technology work for sensing objects through walls?

UWB, or ultra-wideband, technology uses low-energy pulses of radio waves to transmit and receive data. These pulses are able to penetrate through walls and other solid objects, allowing for the detection and tracking of objects on the other side.

2. What types of objects can be sensed using UWB through walls?

UWB technology can detect a wide range of objects, including humans, animals, and inanimate objects such as furniture or appliances. The size and material of the object can affect the accuracy of the sensing, but in general, most objects can be detected.

3. Is UWB technology safe for use in sensing objects through walls?

UWB technology uses very low levels of energy and is considered safe for use in sensing objects through walls. The radio waves it emits are non-ionizing, meaning they do not have enough energy to damage cells or DNA.

4. What are the potential applications for using UWB to sense objects through walls?

There are many potential applications for this technology, including security and surveillance, search and rescue operations, and smart home automation. It can also be used in industrial settings for inventory management and monitoring equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using UWB for sensing objects through walls?

While UWB technology is able to penetrate through walls, its effectiveness can be affected by the type and thickness of the wall, as well as any other objects or interference in the environment. It also may not be able to detect very small or low-density objects.