Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum Energy Form (aside from gamma rays)

1. Jul 27, 2011 #1
    So apparently vacuum energy is created and destroyed within planck time by matter, antimatter annihilation. If someone could theoretically stop or slow down time, would it be possible to tap into vacuum energy? Since annihilation creates gamma rays, I suppose vacuum energy would face the same problems nuclear energy is facing. Is there any other way to get this energy besides in gamma ray form?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Where did you read this?

For example, in the electron-electron interaction by the exchange of a virtual photon, can you show me where is this "matter-antimatter annihilation"? Look at the Feynman diagram for this process.

Zz.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

first paragraph, last sentence.
    i guess they also produce other particle, antiparticle pairs but i'd imagine they would annihilate each other as well within planck time.

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That wikipedia article has nothing to do with "vacuum energy". Vacuum energy is the vacuum fluctuation, whereas matter-antimatter out of pair production has NO RESTRICTION on its lifetime! If it does, then we wouldn't be using it to generate positrons for particle accelerators.

Please pay attention to the terminology that you're using, because you're mixing different things into one.

Zz.

6. Jul 27, 2011 #5
    Zeline: Welcome to Physics Forums....lots of nowledgeable people here....

Nobody currently knows how to tap into vacuum energy. But it might be theoretically possible to tap similar energy outside a black hole horizon...but right now that's science fiction.

You might want to read about dark energy, the theoretical energy that causes space itself to expand. Wikipedia says dark energy and vacuum energy are "equivalent"...I'm not sure anybody knows that for sure....but they do seem closely related.

vacuum energy involves virtual particles....it's not created by matter, antimatter annihilation.

if interested try reading about virtual particles and vacuum energy in Wikipedia as a start.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook