Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metrics

• Thread starter pierrecurie
  • Start date
In summary: G and gotG_{ab}=\pmatrix{-\frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{2\,r\,m-3\,{r}^{2}} & \frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{2\,r\,m-3\,{r}^{2}} & 0 & 0\cr \frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\
pierrecurie
Is anyone here familiar with the Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metrics? Wiki claims that they're both used to model radiating spherically symmetric dust, but I'm not so sure after grinding out the curvature tensors, etc.

tl;dr a (non rotating) spherical star is ejecting a spherical shell of dust - what metric do I use (short of brute forcing a new solution)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Vaidya metric is

[tex]
ds^2=r^2d\Omega^2-2dudr-(1-2m(u)/r)du^2
[/tex]
where u is a null coordinate.

I get the Einstein tensor for dust, only G00 being non-zero.
[tex]
G_{00}=\frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{{r}^{2}}
[/tex]

This paper may be of interest arXiv:gr-qc/0609036v2 .

I'll see if I have the results for the Tolman metrics somewhere a bit later.

[edit]
After some calculation I found that the Einstein tensor calculated in a local frame basis is that of pure radiation. Confirmed in a textbook also. It seems strange that a change of basis can turn the dust tensor into radiation. But it certainly is the case.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
It seems strange that a change of basis can turn the dust tensor into radiation.

Isn't the Vaidya dust null dust? (In other words, aren't the worldlines of the "dust particles" null worldlines?)

PeterDonis said:
Isn't the Vaidya dust null dust? (In other words, aren't the worldlines of the "dust particles" null worldlines?)
I think the null coordinates ensure that. What I find strange is that that in the (holonomic) coordinate basis the Einstein tensor is the one I've quoted above, but in a local frame basis we get pure radiation with Gab being proportional to kakb where k is a null vector. I suppose if the 'dust' is null to begin with this is possible.

I think you need to recheck G0r and Grr.

For general m(u), I'm picking up non-zero terms in T as well. Is there some constraint on m(u) that forces these to zero? Or are they supposed to be non-zero?

I haven't done the calculations, but I have a couple of books that state that [itex]G_{uu}[/itex] is the only non-zero component of the Einstein tensor.
Mentz114 said:
The Vaidya metric is

[tex]
ds^2=r^2d\Omega^2-2dudr-(1-2m(u)/r)du^2
[/tex]
where u is a null coordinate.

Even though references say that [itex]u[/itex] is a null coordinate, I don't think that [itex]u[/itex] is a null coordinate. [itex]\partial_u[/itex] is the tangent vector to u-coordinate curves, and the above metric gives
[tex]g \left( \partial_u , \partial_u \right) = -\left(1-2m\left(u\right)/r\right).[/tex]
Consequently, [itex]u[/itex] is a timelike coordinate. The above metric also gives
[tex]g \left( \partial_r , \partial_r \right) = 0,[/tex]
and thus [itex]r[/itex] is a null coordinate.
Mentz114 said:
I get the Einstein tensor for dust, only G00 being non-zero.
[tex]
G_{00}=\frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{{r}^{2}}
[/tex]

This paper may be of interest arXiv:gr-qc/0609036v2 .

I'll see if I have the results for the Tolman metrics somewhere a bit later.

[edit]
After some calculation I found that the Einstein tensor calculated in a local frame basis is that of pure radiation. Confirmed in a textbook also. It seems strange that a change of basis can turn the dust tensor into radiation. But it certainly is the case.

When I use the (inverse) metric to raise indices, I calculate that
[tex]G^{rr}=\frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{{r}^{2}}[/tex]
is the only non-zero (contravariant) component of the Einstein tensor. Therefore, as a tensor ( not just components)
[tex]G = G^{rr} \partial_r \otimes \partial_r[/tex]

with [itex]\partial_r[/itex] a lightlike vector.

George and Bill_K,

there is some ambiguity about what is null in this metric. Joshi ( see below) just refers to 'null coordinates'.

According to Joshi in 'Global Aspects in Gravitation and cosmology' (Cambridge, 1993), the relevant tensors are those calculated in the frame basis, in which the Einstein tensor is that of pure radiation ( as I wrote above ).

[itex]T_{ij}=\sigma k_i k_j[/itex] ... [itex]\sigma[/itex] is defined to be the energy density of radiation measured as measured locally by an observer with four-velocity [itex]v^i[/itex]
I used the inverse of the co-tetrad
[tex]
\Lambda=\pmatrix{-\frac{2\,m-2\,r}{\sqrt{3\,{r}^{2}-2\,r\,m}} & -\sqrt{\frac{r}{3\,r-2\,m}} & 0 & 0\cr -\sqrt{\frac{r}{3\,r-2\,m}} & -\frac{\sqrt{r}}{\sqrt{3\,r-2\,m}} & 0 & 0\cr 0 & 0 & r & 0\cr 0 & 0 & 0 & r\,sin\left( \theta\right) }
[/tex]
to transform the holonomic G into the frame basis and got this - which is pure radiation in the Vaidya zone.

[tex]
G_{ab}=\pmatrix{-\frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{2\,r\,m-3\,{r}^{2}} & \frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{2\,r\,m-3\,{r}^{2}} & 0 & 0\cr \frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{2\,r\,m-3\,{r}^{2}} & -\frac{2\,\left( \frac{d}{d\,u}\,m\right) }{2\,r\,m-3\,{r}^{2}} & 0 & 0\cr 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\cr 0 & 0 & 0 & 0}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Even though references say that u is a null coordinate, I don't think that u is a null coordinate. ∂u is the tangent vector to u-coordinate curves, and the above metric gives
g(∂u,∂u)=−(1−2m(u)/r). Consequently, u is a timelike coordinate.
Of course u is a null coordinate.
grr = 0, gur = gru = 1, guu = 1-2m/r.
grr = -1 + 2m/r, gur = gru = 1, guu = 0.
u u = guu = 0, so u = const is a null surface.
In fact for m = 0, you get Minkowski space in which the coordinate u = t-r is retarded null time. The Vaidya metric is an example of Kerr-Schild metric, defined to be flat space plus the square of a null vector: gμν = ημν + H kμkν.

Bill_K said:
so u = const is a null surface.

Yes, and (I think) that the lightlike vector [itex]\partial_r[/itex] is normal to this null surface. Maybe my definition of null coordinate is non-standard. The character of coordinate is determined by letting the coordinate in question vary while holding all other coordinates constant. The character of the coordinate is given by the tangent vector to the resulting curve.
Bill_K said:
In fact for m = 0, you get Minkowski space in which the coordinate u = t-r is retarded null time. The Vaidya metric is an example of Kerr-Schild metric, defined to be flat space plus the square of a null vector: gμν = ημν + H kμkν.

If the coordinate transformation u = t - r and v = t + r is made, then u is a null coordinate. If the coordinate transformation u = t - r , r = r is made, then u is not a null coordinate. For more on this (possibly non-standard view), see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2714132#post2714132.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow up in this thread.

1. What is a Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric?

A Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric is a mathematical description of the geometry of space-time in the vicinity of a spherically symmetric mass in general relativity. It is a solution to the Einstein field equations that describes the gravitational field produced by a collapsing or expanding spherical mass.

2. Who proposed the Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric?

The Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric was first proposed by Indian physicist and mathematician, Prabodh Vaidya, and later developed by Belgian cosmologist, Georges Lemaitre, and French mathematician, Richard Tolman, in the 1930s.

3. What is the significance of the Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric?

The Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric is significant because it allows for the study of the gravitational effects of a collapsing or expanding spherical mass, which is an important concept in cosmology and astrophysics. It has been used to model the evolution of the universe and to study the formation of black holes.

4. How is the Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric different from the Schwarzschild metric?

The Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric and the Schwarzschild metric are both solutions to the Einstein field equations, but they describe different scenarios. The Schwarzschild metric describes the geometry of space-time around a static, non-expanding, spherically symmetric mass, while the Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric describes the geometry of space-time around a collapsing or expanding spherically symmetric mass.

5. What are some applications of the Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric?

The Vaidya/Lemaitre-Tolman metric has been used in various cosmological and astrophysical models to study the evolution of the universe, the formation of black holes, and the behavior of matter and radiation in extreme gravitational fields. It has also been used to investigate the properties of dark matter and dark energy in the universe.