What Are the Timelike and Null Coordinates Used in the Schwarzschild Metric?

• Thread starter off-diagonal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinate
In summary, the conversation discusses the removal of coordinate singularity in the Schwarzschild metric by using the Eddington-Finkelstein coordinate. This involves introducing a new time parameter p, which is a null coordinate, and then transforming it into the advanced Eddington-Finkelstein coordinate, which is a timelike coordinate. However, there is some confusion regarding the nature of p in different coordinate systems and Woodhouse's "second fundamental confusion of calculus" is mentioned as a source of confusion. The conversation ends with an offer to explain this confusion in detail.
off-diagonal
Now I'm study the Schwarzschild geometry from "General Relativity (M.P. Hobson)".

Since the Schwarzschild metric has coordinate singularity at [tex]r=2M[/tex] so to remove this singularity they use the Eddington-Finkelstein coordinate,

first they begin with introduces new time parameter "p"

[tex]p=ct+r+2M ln\left |\frac{r}{2M}-1 \right |[/tex]
which is

[tex]dp=c dt+\frac{r}{r-2M}dr[/tex]
and they said that it's a null coordinate

after that , they said "since p is a null coordinate, which might be intuitively unfamiliar, it is common practice to work instead with the related timelike coordinate [itex]t^\prime[/itex]defined by"

[tex]ct^{\prime}=p-r=ct+2M ln\left |\frac{r}{2M}-1 \right |[/tex]

and it is a timelike coordinate which called "advanced Eddingtion-Finkelstein coordinate"

My question is how can I check that which coordinate are timelike nulllike or spacelike? Is there any explicit calculation to check this?

What wrong with the former coordinate which defined as p? Why should we use the new one instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with vectors represented by partial derivative operators? If you are, then use the chain rule.

"vectors represented by partial derivative operators"

like this? [tex]V=V^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}[/tex]

sorry, but I have no idea about what you are said. Could you please tell me more about it?

off-diagonal said:
"vectors represented by partial derivative operators"

like this? [tex]V=V^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}[/tex]

Yes!

Unfortunately, there is some subtlety here, and this subtlety seems to have confused Hobson, Efstathiou, and Lasenby (HEL). Most of the subtlety has to do with Woodhouse's "second fundamental confusion of calculus."

By HEL's own definition on page 248,
... fix the other coordinates at their values at P and consider an infinitesimal variation [itex]dx^\mu[/itex] in the coordinate of interest. If the corresponding change in the interval [itex]ds^2[/itex] is positive, zero or negative, then [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is timelike, null or spacelike respectively.

[itex]p[/itex] in Eddington-FinkelStein coordinates [itex]\left(p,r,\theta,\phi \right)[/itex] is a timelike coordinate, not a null coordinate. To see this, apply HEL's prescription on page 248 to equation (11.6). Varing [itex]p[/itex] while holding [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and [itex]\phi[/itex] constant gives [itex]dr = d\theta = d\phi = 0[/itex] and

[tex]ds^2 = \left( 1 - \frac{2M}{r} \right) dp^2.[/tex]

Hence, (when [itex]r > 2M[/itex]) [itex]ds^2[/itex] is positive, and [itex]p[/itex] is a timelike coordinate.

HEL are thinking of [itex]p[/itex] in Kruskal coordinates [itex]\left(p,q,\theta,\phi \right). [/itex]. In this case, applying the page 248 prescription to equation (11.16) gives that [itex]p[/itex] is a null coordinate. Do you see why?

What type of coordinate is [itex]r[/itex] in Eddington-FinkelStein coordinates [itex]\left(p,r,\theta,\phi \right)[/itex]?

By now, you should be thoroughly confused! How can the "same" [itex]p[/itex] be timelike in one set of coordinates and null in another set of coordinates? If you want, I am willing to spend some time explaining in detail what is going on here, and what Woodhouse's "second fundamental confusion of calculus" is.

So , according to your comment when I apply the prescription in P.248 to the metric in Kruskal Coordinates [tex](p,r,\theta,\phi)[/tex].

[tex]ds^{2}=\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)dp dq-r^{2}d\Omega^{2}_{s^{2}}[/tex]

then as [tex]dq=d\theta=d\phi=0[/tex] so we conclude that [tex]p[/tex] is null coordinate.

Am I right?

If that were the case, then in P.255 they made some mistake because they told that [tex]p[/tex] is null coordinate. In stead, as your suggestion then coordinate [tex]p[/tex] as defined in (11.5) is already timelike coordinate. so What is HEL's propose to introduce new coordinate called "advanced Eddington-Finkelstein"(11.8) which claim to be a timelike coordinate.

I found in Black Hole Physics (Frolov & Novikov) they also said that [tex]v[/tex] is null coordinate,which defined slightly different from HEL but still get the same metric as HEL (11.6). So right now I'm so confused about that

George Jones said:
I am willing to spend some time explaining in detail what is going on here, and what Woodhouse's "second fundamental confusion of calculus" is.

Yes, sure I want to. Thank you so much I appreciated that

1. What is the difference between timelike and null coordinates?

Timelike coordinates are used to describe events that occur in time, while null coordinates are used to describe events that occur in space. Timelike coordinates have a positive spacetime interval, while null coordinates have a zero spacetime interval.

2. How are timelike and null coordinates used in relativity?

In relativity, timelike and null coordinates are an important part of the spacetime metric, which describes the geometry of spacetime. Timelike coordinates are used to describe the time dimension, while null coordinates are used to describe the space dimensions. They are used to calculate distances, times, and other physical quantities in spacetime.

3. Can timelike and null coordinates be used interchangeably?

No, timelike and null coordinates cannot be used interchangeably. They have different mathematical properties and are used to describe different types of events in spacetime. Timelike coordinates are used for events that occur in time, while null coordinates are used for events that occur in space.

4. How do timelike and null coordinates relate to light cones?

Timelike and null coordinates are used to define the light cone structure of spacetime. Timelike coordinates are used for the inside of the light cone, which represents events that can be causally connected. Null coordinates are used for the surface of the light cone, which represents events that can be reached by light.

5. Are timelike and null coordinates used in any other fields besides relativity?

Timelike and null coordinates are primarily used in relativity, but they can also be used in other fields such as cosmology and quantum mechanics. In these fields, they are used to describe the geometry and dynamics of spacetime and to calculate various physical quantities.