Validating the kinetic energy for the two particle collision problem

In summary, the textbook says that:-eq. 3 can easily be verified by differentiating eq. 2 and using eq. 1 and the realtion between V and F.-T+V=constant and V is a function of x and time.-To elaborate a little on cosmic dust's good suggestion:-E(v_1, v_2, x_1, x_2) is a function of four variables: ##v_1##, ##v_2##, ##x_1##, ##x_2##.
Andreasdreas

Homework Statement

The following is a summaration of a piece of text in my textbook:

The setting is two particles moving in one dimension, under mutual forces, so that the equations of motion are

(1): [itex]m_1 a_1=F[/itex] and [itex] m_2 a_2=-F [/itex] (a stands for acceleration)

[itex]F[/itex] is only a function of the relative distance between the particles [itex]x=x_1-x_2[/itex] : [itex]F=F(x)[/itex] so [itex]F[/itex] is conservative and a potential energy function [itex]V(x)[/itex] can be introduced.

The law of conservation of energy then takes the form

(2): [itex] T + V=E=constant [/itex]

with

(3):[itex] T=\frac{1}{2}m_1(v_1)^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2(v_2)^2 [/itex] (T is the kinetic energy and v stands for velocity, this is also the relative velocity of the two particles: [itex]v=v_1-v_2[/itex]).

The books then says that:

eq. 3 can easily be verified by differentiating eq. 2 and using eq. 1 and the realtion between V and F.

Homework Equations

The relation between V and F: [tex] F(x)=-\frac{dV}{dx} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quit unsure with what i should differentiate with respect to when differentiating eq. (2)
V is a function of x and T is a function of v. What i have tried is this:

[tex]T+V=constant \implies \frac{dT}{dv} \frac{dv}{dt}=-\frac{dV}{dx}=F(x)[/tex]

Then i am unsure what term i should use for F(x).
What i have done is to put it equal to [itex]ma [/itex] where a is the acceleration of the relative position [itex]x=x_1-x_2[/itex] and i guess m should be [itex]m_1+m_2[/itex] .
But integrating [itex]ma [/itex] dosent seem to yield eq. 3, I have integatred like this:
[tex]\int \int (ma) dt dv = \int (mv) dv =\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}(m_1+m_2)(v_1-v_2)^2[/tex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}(m_1+m_2)(v_1-v_2)^2[/itex] must give a lot of terms which i don't see will cancel out to give eq. 3

Physics news on Phys.org
When we say tha energy is conserved, we mean that is constant as time passes. So the derivative of energy w.r.t. time will be zero. Althought V depends explicitly on x = x1-x2, since x1 and x2 are functions of time, then V is actually a function of time. So try to differntiate T+V=E w.r.t. time and then use the equations of motions to get rid of the forces. Also, the force applied to "i" particle will be equall to minus the partial derivative of V w.r.t. xi.

To elaborate a little on cosmic dust's good suggestion:

Note that ##T## is a function of ##v_1## and ##v_2##: ##T(v_1, v_2)## and ##V## is a function of ##x_1## and ##x_2##: ##V(x_1, x_2)##. So, overall, the total energy is a function of four variables: ##E(v_1, v_2, x_1, x_2)##.

The time derivative is ##\dot E = \frac{\partial E}{\partial v_1} \dot v_1 + \frac{\partial E}{\partial v_2} \dot v_2 + \frac{\partial E}{\partial x_1} \dot x_1 + \frac{\partial E}{\partial x_2} \dot x_2##

In carrying this out, you’ll need to use ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_1} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial x_1}## and similarly for ##x_2##.

I guess it can be done that way, althought I had something else in mind:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}=0\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}+\frac{dV}{dt}=0\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial {{x}_{1}}}{{v}_{1}}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial {{x}_{2}}}{{v}_{2}}=0\Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}-{{m}_{1}}{{\dot{v}}_{1}}{{v}_{1}}-{{m}_{2}}{{\dot{v}}_{2}}{{v}_{2}}=0\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{1}{2}{{m}_{1}}v_{1}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}{{m}_{2}}v_{2}^{2} \right) [/tex]

cosmic dust said:
I guess it can be done that way, althought I had something else in mind:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}=0\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}+\frac{dV}{dt}=0\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial {{x}_{1}}}{{v}_{1}}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial {{x}_{2}}}{{v}_{2}}=0\Rightarrow [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}-{{m}_{1}}{{\dot{v}}_{1}}{{v}_{1}}-{{m}_{2}}{{\dot{v}}_{2}}{{v}_{2}}=0\Rightarrow \frac{dT}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{1}{2}{{m}_{1}}v_{1}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}{{m}_{2}}v_{2}^{2} \right) [/tex]

Yes, that's much better. I lost sight of the question! You want to verify that T has the form given in OP's equation (3). Very good.
(I was assuming (3) and verifying E is constant. Not what was asked.:redface:)

Thanks for the responds, i see it clearly now.
I got confused in the different variables and also i was not proberly aware that a kinetic and potential energy is attached to each of the particles.

What is the purpose of validating the kinetic energy for the two particle collision problem?

The purpose of validating the kinetic energy for the two particle collision problem is to ensure that the calculated values accurately represent the physical system being studied. This validation process helps to identify any errors or discrepancies in the calculations and improves the overall accuracy and reliability of the results.

How is the kinetic energy calculated for a two particle collision?

The kinetic energy for a two particle collision can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity. This equation takes into account the mass and velocity of both particles involved in the collision.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated kinetic energy for a two particle collision?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated kinetic energy for a two particle collision. These include any measurement errors, assumptions made in the calculation, and external forces acting on the particles such as friction or air resistance. It is important to carefully consider these factors and minimize their impact on the calculation to ensure accurate results.

How can the accuracy of the calculated kinetic energy be improved?

The accuracy of the calculated kinetic energy for a two particle collision can be improved by using more precise measurement techniques, reducing the number of assumptions made in the calculation, and accounting for any external forces that may affect the particles. Additionally, performing multiple trials and averaging the results can also help to improve the accuracy of the calculated kinetic energy.

Why is it important to validate the kinetic energy for the two particle collision problem?

Validating the kinetic energy for the two particle collision problem is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the results. This is crucial in scientific research as it allows for a better understanding of the physical system being studied and can lead to more accurate predictions and insights.