How to Calculate Force for Van de Graaff Generator | 70-Year Old Challenge

• Thread starter mattbeatlefreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Van de graaff
In summary, the conversation discusses a challenge to replicate the charge collection of a Van de Graaff generator using a specific dome and belt. The problem involves finding the force required for the motor to accomplish this goal. Different approaches, including using energy and voltage concepts and treating the belt as a line charge, are discussed. The correct answer is ultimately obtained using the integration method.
mattbeatlefreak

Homework Statement

A fellow scientist heard that a Van de Graaff generator built 70 years ago could collect 5.0 C of charge on its dome, which had a radius of 1.1 m, and has challenged you to do the same. You plan to use the same dome with the same radius and the belt you plan to use is 200 mm wide and 10.0 m long (5.0 m to go up to the dome, and 5.0 m to come back down). Charging the belt gives it a surface charge density of 65 μC/m2 . Assume that the belt is being charged at a distance of half of the belt length from the center of the dome.

How much force must your motor be able to exert on the belt in order to accomplish your goal?

Homework Equations

F=qE
W=Fd=qV
ΔU=W

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to tackle this problem. My thought is that to get a force, you could find the work done by the motor and divide by the distance. The work could be found by the change in electric potential energy to charge the generator. However, I don't feel confident with this approach.
I did calculate the surface area of the entire belt (2 m2) and the using the given surface charge density find the amount of charge over the entire belt (1.3*10-4 C). That would mean that the belt would have to do a complete pass over 38,461 times...
I don't really have a clue on this problem, if anyone could say if I'm on the right track or help me get going, it would rock. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When's the motor working hardest? At the beginning of the process? Or, at the end?

Maybe treat the belt as a line charge as shown below. Can you find an expression for the force on a small section of the belt?

Attachments

• van de graaff.png
    van de graaff.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 703
Bystander said:
When's the motor working hardest? At the beginning of the process? Or, at the end?
Thanks for replying. I would think that as the charge is transferred onto the sphere, it would require more and more force to continue to apply more charge carriers. So then, at the end. Does this mean that I should only consider the amount of work it would take to move charge from the motor to the sphere? The belt is charged at a distance halfway up to the generator, so would it be the work it would take to move then 2.5 meters up to the sphere?

TSny said:
Maybe treat the belt as a line charge

Shouldn't it be related to the voltage of the dome?

My approach was to concentrate entirely on the force without using energy or voltage. But, I think you can also get the answer using just energy concepts. First method will involve simple integration, second method won't require integration.

Likes mattbeatlefreak
TSny said:
My approach was to concentrate entirely on the force without using energy or voltage. But, I think you can also get the answer using just energy concepts. First method will involve simple integration, second method won't require integration.

I solved using the integration method, and finally got the right answer. I was misreading the question slightly and my integration bounds were incorrect. Thanks for all the help everyone!

1. What is a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator is a scientific instrument that generates static electricity by using a motorized belt to transfer charges to a large metal sphere. This sphere then creates a high voltage electric field that can be used for various experiments and demonstrations.

2. How does a Van de Graaff generator work?

The Van de Graaff generator works by using a motorized belt to transfer charges from a lower voltage source to a high voltage metal sphere. This creates a strong electric field which can then be used for experiments and demonstrations.

3. What are the main uses of a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator has many uses in scientific research and education. It can be used to create high voltage electric fields for experiments in electrostatics, nuclear physics, and plasma physics. It is also commonly used in demonstrations and science shows to showcase the effects of static electricity.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a Van de Graaff generator?

When using a Van de Graaff generator, it is important to follow safety precautions to avoid electric shocks or damage to the equipment. These precautions include wearing safety gear such as gloves and safety glasses, ensuring the generator is properly grounded, and avoiding contact with the metal sphere while it is in operation.

5. Can a Van de Graaff generator be used to create lightning?

No, a Van de Graaff generator cannot create lightning. While it can produce high voltage electric fields, it is not capable of generating the intense electrical discharge needed for lightning. It is important to always use a Van de Graaff generator safely and follow proper precautions to avoid any potential hazards.