Vapor Pressure Saturation in Air Collection: Estimating Water Vapor Mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
johnj7
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


"Suppose you were to collect 1.0 L air by passing it slowly thorugh water at 20C and into a container. estimate the mass of water vapor in the collect air, assuming that the air is saturated."

I don't know where to even begin. at first i thought it had something to do with henry's law, but that didn't lead me anywhere

Homework Equations


Henrys Law
S=kH X P

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea, I read the chapter on physical equilibria throughly, but I can't answer this question. All I need is the conceptual understanding as to how I would solve this problem. The only way I thought of doing this is
1. find the solubility of air in water (henry's constant given)
2. plug in the vapor pressure of water at 20C for P
3. Obtain solubility
4. then I have the solubility of air in water
5. that didn't get me anywhere

I couldn't think of anything else, conceptual guidance would be appreciated
the answer is I don't know where to even begin. at first i thought it had something to do with henry's law, but that didn't lead me anywhere

the answer is 0.017g
thanks !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Dalton's law of partial pressures to the vapor phase.
 
Thanks for the reply,
I thought about it, but still can't figure out how to do it... it shouldn't be that hard, its the first problem in the chapter!:frown:

so daltons law says that the total pressure is equal to the mole fractions of each species multiplied by the total pressure
ie
Ptot = X1P + X2P

I have that the vapor pressure of water at 20C is 17.54
what can I do now?
 
You've got volume, you've got pressure, you've got temperature. What do you know about ideal gases?
 
wow simple
i keep forgetting to always think about the ideal gas law
thank you so much