Vapor vs Gas, both containing solids

In summary, this guy thinks that vapor and gas are the same thing and that they both contain solids. He was offended when I suggested that maybe the evaporated vapor that comes off gasoline wouldn't have any solids in it.
Spin30
I'm currently having a discussion with a guy that absolutely says that vapor and gas are the same thing, and they both contain solids, and that's how we see them. I suggested maybe the evaporated vapor that comes off gasoline as you pour it wouldn't have any solids in it, to which he said I'm an idiot blah, blah.

Are vapor and gas the same thing?? Is it possible for either of them to be seen without any solids in them(he claims the only reason we can see a vapor/gas is because of the small particles in them that are reflecting light so we can see it)?

I'm out of questions, not to mention the whole idiot thing kinda blew me away lol.

If this is posted in the wrong place please forgive me, and just let me know where to post it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just say that the instant he said "idiot" the conversation was over and there is no reason to worry about it! I have no idea what one could mean by saying there are "solids" in either a liquid or a gas. The four states of matter are "solid", "liquid", "gas", and "plasma". While it is possible for any of those to contain small amounts of another (of the same or different material) that doesn't have anything to do with the distinction between "gas" and "vapor". The "liquid" state of a material is a group of molecules of the material with very specific properties. The "gas" state must consist of separate molecules of the material. A "vapor" is small globules of the liquid state of a material suspended in air.

cool, thanks very much for the info...I've tried repeatedly to explain there is a difference between Vapor and gas, but he just keeps with the argument of they are essentially the same as in order for either to be seen they have small solids in them, therefore they are the same, according to him.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is the main difference between vapor and gas, both containing solids?

The main difference between vapor and gas is their state of matter. Vapor is a gaseous state of a substance that is typically a liquid or solid at room temperature, while gas is a state of matter that is not a liquid or solid at room temperature. Both vapor and gas can contain solids, but their physical properties are different.

2. How are vapor and gas, both containing solids, formed?

Vapor and gas, both containing solids, are formed through a process called evaporation or vaporization. This is when a liquid or solid turns into a gas, which then can contain solids. The rate of evaporation depends on factors such as temperature, surface area, and humidity.

3. Can vapor and gas, both containing solids, be seen by the naked eye?

Vapor and gas, both containing solids, cannot be seen by the naked eye as they are in a gaseous state. However, if the gas or vapor contains particles or solids that are large enough, they may be visible as smoke, haze, or fog.

4. How do vapor and gas, both containing solids, behave differently in terms of pressure and volume?

Vapor and gas, both containing solids, behave differently in terms of pressure and volume. Gas follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. Vapor, on the other hand, does not follow this law as it is in a gaseous state due to evaporation and can behave differently depending on the substance it is derived from.

5. Is there a difference in the density of vapor and gas, both containing solids?

Yes, there is a difference in the density of vapor and gas, both containing solids. Gas is typically less dense than vapor because gas molecules have more space between them due to their higher energy. Vapor, on the other hand, can have a higher density as it is in a gaseous state due to evaporation and can contain solids that contribute to its overall density.