1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable Length Pendulum

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Variable Length Pendulum

Hi, everybody! I'm not sure about my solution to the problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a simple pendulum with variable length r(t). The suspension point remains fixed.
    (i)Write the Lagrangian for the pendulum and the equations of motion.
    (ii)Write the Hamiltonian for the system.
    (iii)Calculate the total mechanical energy of the system.

2. Relevant equations

Lagrangian: L=T-V
    Euler-Lagrange equation: [tex]\frac{d~}{dt} \ \left( \, \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i} \, \right) \ - \ \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} \ = \ 0[/tex]
    Legendre transform of the Lagrangian: [tex]H\left(q_j,p_j,t\right) = \sum_i \dot{q}_i p_i - L(q_j,\dot{q}_j,t)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) I think the system has only one degree of freedom, the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. The kinetic energy of the system is [tex]T=\frac{m}{2}\left( \dot{r}^2+r^2 \dot{\theta}^2\right)[/tex]. The potential potential energy is [tex]V=-mgr \cos\theta [/tex].
    [tex]\Rightarrow L=\frac{m}{2}\left( \dot{r}^2+r^2 \dot{\theta}^2\right)+mgr \cos\theta[/tex].
    Using the Euler-Lagrange equation for [tex]q=\theta: 2mr\dot{r}\dot{\theta}+mr^2 \ddot{\theta}-mgr\sin\theta =0 [/tex]
    (ii)With the generalized momenta [tex]p_{\theta}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}=mr^2 \dot{\theta} \Leftrightarrow \dot{\theta}=\frac{p_{\theta}}{mr^2}[/tex] I can write the Hamiltonian [tex]H=p_\theta \dot{\theta} -L=\frac{p_\theta}{2mr^2}-\frac{m}{2}\dot{r}^2-mgr\cos\theta[/tex]. The Hamiltonian is not conserved since r=r(t) is time dependent.
    (iii) The total energy of the system is [tex]E=T+V=\frac{p_\theta}{2mr^2}+\frac{m}{2}\dot{r}^2-mgr\cos\theta[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2
    Math seems fine, but [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are both changing with time. How exactly are you defining the degree of freedom?

4. Dec 19, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r is a fixed function of time r(t). You can't predict its values from the dynamics.

5. Dec 19, 2007 #4
    First I was confused about [tex]H(\theta,p_{\theta})\neq E[/tex], but after reading some books this seems to be a classic example of this type of problem. If I understand this correct r(t) is a holonomic constraint.
    Anyway the solution seems to be correct. Thanks for your responses.

6. Dec 19, 2007 #5

kdv

What happens is that the system is not isolated, there is some extrenal force dictating how r changes with time. In that case H will not be E. The same thing happens, for example, when there is something rotating at a constant angular velocity, which means there is an extrenal force acting and forcing the rotation.

7. Dec 23, 2007 #6
    Ok, so its essentially given.

8. Dec 24, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. It could also as Zoidberg pointed out, could be considered as a constraint.

9. Jul 17, 2010 #8

mma

Re: [SOLVED] Variable Length Pendulum

Shouldn't pΘ appear on the second power here?

(off: why can't I write latex formulas? The preview shows a completely different formulas from that I write down. E.g. how [tex]p_\theta[/tex] looks like?)

edit: wow! now it displays good. Only the preview was wrong.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?