1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable-only graphing question

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If F=Kx^n, where K>0 and n>1, sketch the graphs of F vs. x, F vs. x^n, and logF vs. logx. What information is obtained from each graph? Be specific.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea where to start with this one, as it's stumping me greatly. From the information given, i'm guessing that for the first graph of F vs. x it will be a simple linear graph, F vs. x^n will be a vertical parabola, and logF vs. logx will be a horizontal parabola, however, i'm unsure what information these graphs would give me (if they are even the right graphs I need to draw). If someone could point me in the right direction here it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you guess "that for the first graph of F vs. x it will be a simple linear graph"? What you normally see are graphs of "F vs. x". What does the graph of F= 2x^2 look. Now suppose you replace x^2 by u to get F= 2u. What would a graph of F= 2u look like? Finally, there is no need to guess about the third question, go ahead and take the logarithms. log(F)= log(kx^n)= ? Use the laws of logarithms.

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    Ahh I think I see now. I'm guessing by the laws of logarithms you mean simplify log(kx^n) to logk + nlogx?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook