Variable substitution question(diff)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving a Bernoulli Differential Equation. The participants suggest different substitutions to solve the equation, with the last substitution resulting in a form of the equation that can be solved using the Bernoulli method.
proto
[tex]\frac{xy'}{(\ln x\arctan y)-1}=(1+y^2)\arctan y\\[/tex]
[tex]t=\arctan y\\[/tex]
[tex]t'=\frac{1}{1+y^2}y'\\[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x}{\ln (x)t-1}=\frac{t}{t'}\\[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x}{\ln (x)t-1}=\frac{tdx}{dt}\\[/tex]
[tex]xdt=(\ln (x)t-1)tdx\\[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dt}{\ln (x)t-1}=\frac{dx}{x}\\[/tex]
still can't beak it as one type of variable on each side
so i substitute by another variable
[tex]z=\ln x\\[/tex]
[tex]dz=\frac{dx}{x}\\[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dt}{zt-1}=dz\\[/tex]
i don't know how to separate each variable type on one side
so i could integrate

??

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, your last substitution should result in
[tex]t'+t=zt^2[/tex]​
I'm not exactly sure on a good substitution to use, but since this is a http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BernoulliDifferentialEquation.html" , you can use that method.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is variable substitution?

Variable substitution is a method used in algebra to replace variables in an equation with specific values or expressions. This allows for simplification and solving of equations.

Why is variable substitution important?

Variable substitution is important because it allows for the manipulation and solving of complex equations. It is a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in many areas of mathematics and science.

How is variable substitution performed?

To perform variable substitution, you simply replace the variable in the equation with the given value or expression. This can be done by substituting the value directly into the equation or by using the distributive property to distribute the expression throughout the equation.

What are some common mistakes when using variable substitution?

Some common mistakes when using variable substitution include forgetting to substitute all instances of the variable, mixing up positive and negative signs, and not simplifying the equation after substitution. It is important to carefully check your work to avoid these errors.

Can variable substitution be used in other areas besides algebra?

Yes, variable substitution can be used in other areas of mathematics such as calculus, where it is used to simplify and solve integrals. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve equations and model real-world situations.