Variation of parameters inhomogeneous DE help

In summary: You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.? You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.? You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.? You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.? You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.In summary, you
xtipd
Ok here's my problem:
1. Solve the inhomogeneous second order de:
x^2y" - 3xy' + 4y =x^4

2. Worked: y(p) = 1/4*x^4

Given: y(1) = x^2
y(2) = log(x)*x^2

3. I just need help getting the roots of the given de so i can determine y(h) of this de. As i have already solved the particular solution y(p) and then the general solution
y(g) = y(h) + y(p)

Im thinking this has imaginary roots as i gave it a crack to get y(h) and the best i could think of was (r - 2/x) - 1/x = 0, which doesn't really lead me anywhere i think.

Do i have to use the quadratic formula to get the roots of this equation? and if so some pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
solve x^2y" - 3xy' + 4y=0 to get two solutions,y1(x) and y2(x), for the variations of parameters method.

Last edited:
xtipd said:
Ok here's my problem:
1. Solve the inhomogeneous second order de:
x^2y" - 3xy' + 4y =x^4

2. Worked: y(p) = 1/4*x^4

Given: y(1) = x^2
y(2) = log(x)*x^2

3. I just need help getting the roots of the given de so i can determine y(h) of this de. As i have already solved the particular solution y(p) and then the general solution
y(g) = y(h) + y(p)
? You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.

Im thinking this has imaginary roots as i gave it a crack to get y(h) and the best i could think of was (r - 2/x) - 1/x = 0, which doesn't really lead me anywhere i think.

Do i have to use the quadratic formula to get the roots of this equation? and if so some pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated!
You don't need to do that at all, you are given those solutions!
Of course, the general solution to the entire equation is y(x)= Ax^2+ Blog(x)x^2+ (1/4)x^4 but I suspect you got that yp by "undetermined coefficients" so have not followed the instructions to use "variation of parameters".

Thanks
Although, as I said, you do not need to solve the characteristic equation, no it does not have imaginary roots. You can convert a "Euler type" or "equipotential equation" to a "constant coefficients" equation with the change of variables t= log(x) or x= e^t.
dy/dx= dy/dt dt/dx= (1/x)dy/dt so d^2y/dx^2= d ((1/x)dy/dt)/dx= (1/x) d(dy/dt)/dx- 1/x^2 dy/dx= (1/x)^2 d^2y/dt^2- (1/x^2)dy/dt so x^2d^2y/dt^2- 3x dy/dx+ 4y= x^2(1/x^2)(d^2y/dt^2- dy/dt)- 3x (1/x)dy/dt+ 4y= d^2y/dt^2- 4 dy/dt+ 4y= 0. The characteristic equation for that constant coefficients equation, and so for the equipotential equation, is r^2- 4r+ 4= (r- 2)^2= 0 which has r= 2 as a double root. For a constant coefficients equation, that would mean the solution was y= Ae^(2t)+ Bte^(2t). Since t= log(x), e^(2t)= e^(2log(x))= e^(log(x^2))= x^2 and te^(2t)= log(x)x^2, as "given".

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
? You are given that two independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are x^2 and log(x)x^2.

You don't need to do that at all, you are given those solutions!
Of course, the general solution to the entire equation is y(x)= Ax^2+ Blog(x)x^2+ (1/4)x^4 but I suspect you got that yp by "undetermined coefficients" so have not followed the instructions to use "variation of parameters".

Although, as I said, you do not need to solve the characteristic equation, no it does not have imaginary roots. You can convert a "Euler type" or "equipotential equation" to a "constant coefficients" equation with the change of variables t= log(x) or x= e^t.
dy/dx= dy/dt dt/dx= (1/x)dy/dt so d^2y/dx^2= d ((1/x)dy/dt)/dx= (1/x) d(dy/dt)/dx- 1/x^2 dy/dx= (1/x)^2 d^2y/dt^2- (1/x^2)dy/dt so x^2d^2y/dt^2- 3x dy/dx+ 4y= x^2(1/x^2)(d^2y/dt^2- dy/dt)- 3x (1/x)dy/dt+ 4y= d^2y/dt^2- 4 dy/dt+ 4y= 0. The characteristic equation for that constant coefficients equation, and so for the equipotential equation, is r^2- 4r+ 4= (r- 2)^2= 0 which has r= 2 as a double root. For a constant coefficients equation, that would mean the solution was y= Ae^(2t)+ Bte^(2t). Since t= log(x), e^(2t)= e^(2log(x))= e^(log(x^2))= x^2 and te^(2t)= log(x)x^2, as "given".

We were given the solution y(1) = x^2 was a solution, then had to prove y(2) = log(x)x^2 is also a solution.

Haha your spot on about me getting y(p) via constant coefficients, which i ended up realising just before and ajusted my solution. Seems so stupid now i look back at it.

I did end up using the change of variables with x= e^t and also got the root r(1)= r(2) = 2 so y= Ae^(2t)+ Bte^(2t) just like you mentioned, and went on to get the general solution.

All cleared up now, help was much appreciated!

1. What is the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used to solve inhomogeneous differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming it is a linear combination of the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

2. When should I use the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method is used when solving inhomogeneous differential equations where the non-homogeneous term is a function of the independent variable. It is also useful when the non-homogeneous term cannot be factored easily.

3. How does the variation of parameters method differ from other methods of solving differential equations?

The variation of parameters method is different from other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, because it allows for a wider range of non-homogeneous terms to be solved. It also does not require the non-homogeneous term to have a specific form, as long as it is a function of the independent variable.

4. Are there any limitations to using the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it can only be used to solve first-order and second-order inhomogeneous differential equations. It also requires a lot of algebraic manipulation, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

5. Can you provide an example of using the variation of parameters method to solve a differential equation?

For example, if we have the equation y'' + y' = 3x + 2, we first find the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation (in this case, y'' + y' = 0), which are y1 = e-x and y2 = 1. We then assume a particular solution, yp = u1e-x + u2, and solve for u1 and u2 using the method of undetermined coefficients. Finally, the general solution is y = c1e-x + c2 + x + 2.