Variation of perfect fluid and Lie derivative

In summary, the authors derive the energy-momentum tensor for perfect fluid by lagrangian formulation. They imply if ##D## is a sufficiently small compact region, one can represent a congruence by a diffeomorphism ##\gamma: [a,b]\times N\rightarrow D## where ##[a,b]## is some closed interval of ##R^1## and ##N## is some 3-dimensional manifold with boundary. The tangent vector of ##\gamma## is ##W=(\partial/\partial t)_{\gamma}##. The Lagrangian is taken to be $$L=-\rho(1+\epsil
TAKEDA Hiroki
In Hawking-Ellis Book(1973) "The large scale structure of space-time" p69-p70, they derive the energy-momentum tensor for perfect fluid by lagrangian formulation. They imply if ##D## is a sufficiently small compact region, one can represent a congruence by a diffeomorphism ##\gamma: [a,b]\times N\rightarrow D## where ##[a,b]## is some closed interval of ##R^1## and ##N## is some 3-dimensional manifold with boundary. The tangent vector of ##\gamma## is ##W=(\partial/\partial t)_{\gamma}##. The Lagrangian is taken to be $$L=-\rho(1+\epsilon)$$ and the action ##I## is required to be stationary when the flow lines are varied and ##\rho## is adjusted to keep ##j^a## conserved where ##\rho## is a function and ##\epsilon## is the elastic potential as a function of ##\rho##. A variation of the flow lines is a differentiable map ##\alpha: (-\delta, \delta)\times[a, b]\times N\rightarrow D## such that $$\alpha(0, [a,b],N)=\gamma([a,b],N).$$ They say "Then it follows that $$\Delta W=L_{K}W$$ where the vector ##K## is ##K=(\partial/\partial u)_{\alpha}##."
I'm curious this equation is correct. I guess ##\Delta W## means its components is ##(\partial W^i/\partial u)|_{u=0}## in their book. However r.h.s components are calculated as follows.$$(L_{K}W)^i=\frac{\partial W^i}{\partial x^j}K^j-\frac{\partial K^i}{\partial x^j}W^j=\frac{\partial W^i}{\partial u}-\frac{\partial K^i}{\partial t}$$ So I wonder $$(\Delta W)^i=\frac{\partial W^i}{\partial u}\neq (L_{K}W)^i=\frac{\partial W^i}{\partial u}-\frac{\partial K^i}{\partial t}.$$ ##(\partial K^i/\partial t)=0?## Will you tell me where I am wrong?
This pdf file is Eur. Phys. J. H paper by S. Hawking. See page 19. But I'm sorry my notation is little different.
https://epjti.epj.org/images/stories/news/2014/10.1140--epjh--e2014-50013-6.pdf

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I read it as follows:

## \Delta W \stackrel{p.17}{=} \pi (\left. \frac{\partial}{\partial u} \alpha \right|_{u=0}) \stackrel{p.19}{=} \pi(\left. K_\alpha \right|_{u=0}) ## is the variation vector of the vector field ##W## in direction of ##K_\alpha##, the variation of flow lines in direction ##K_\alpha= \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial u} \right)_\alpha ## at the point ##u=0##. Isn't this exactly the definition of the Lie derivative of ##W## along ##K## at this point? So ##"##It then follows that ##\Delta W = L_KW\,"## is more a summary of the specific set-up of the example rather than a conclusion form previous statements. The conclusions come next (p.20).

Thank you for your reply.

I see.. This equation is a definition rather than a derivation.
But I have a question. This paper is written more precisely by using bundle than Hawking-Ellis Book(1973). In the book, they denote ##\partial\Psi_{(i)}(u,r)/\partial u)|_{u=0}## by ##\Delta\Psi_{(i)}## where ##\Psi_{(i)}(u,r)## is a one-parameter family of fields, ##u## is a variation parameter and ##r## is a point of spacetime. The concept of bundle is not used. In this case, can I also understand ##\Delta W=L_{K}W## is exactly the definition of the Lie derivative of ##W## along ##K## at the point? And can both (r.h.s.) and (l.h.s.) components be ##(\partial W^i/\partial u)##? Sorry I'm confused.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. As soon as you have a (tangent) vector field all over the manifold, you also have vector bundles or even tensor bundles. It is a matter of viewpoint and language, not of a discrepancy regarding the manifold. To me the equation ##\Delta W = L_KW## is what variation calculus is all about, only expressed in terms of certain vector fields, ##W## and ##K##.

The "missing" direction ##K## in ##\Delta W## is hidden in the definition of the variation vector (field) ##\Delta## of the vector field ## W## (p.17) which uses the direction ##\left. K\right|_{u=0} = \left. \left( \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial u}\right) \circ \alpha \right) \right|_{u=0}## and the variation ##\alpha \, : \, \alpha(0,t,q)=\gamma(t,q) ## for ##t \in [a,b]\; , \;q \in N\,## by defining ##\Delta W = \pi \left( \left. \frac{\partial}{\partial u}\right|_{u=0} \gamma(t,q) \right)##.

Perhaps
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-ii/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/
can help you to clarify the picture. It is only an overview and not especially about variations but is has some examples.

Thanks a lot.
So Why is the (l.h.s) component ##(\partial W^i/\partial u)##, though (r.h.s.) component is ##(\partial W^i/\partial u)-(\partial K^i/\partial t)## ?? I want you to explain without using the projection ##\pi## because I'm not familiar with the bundle. In the following calculation, this relation ##(\partial W^i/\partial u)=(L_{K}W)^i=W^i{}_{;j}K^j-K^i{}_{;j}W^j## is used. But ##(L_{K}W)^i## is also expressed as ##(L_{K}W)^i=(\partial W^i/\partial u)-(\partial K^i/\partial t)##. Is this a contradiction?

Last edited:

1. What is a perfect fluid?

A perfect fluid is a theoretical fluid without viscosity or heat conduction, meaning it experiences no internal friction or energy loss as it flows. It is often used as a simplifying assumption in fluid dynamics equations.

2. How does the variation of perfect fluid affect its behavior?

The variation of a perfect fluid refers to changes in its properties, such as density and pressure, as it flows. These variations can affect the fluid's behavior, such as its speed and direction of flow.

3. What is the Lie derivative in relation to perfect fluid?

The Lie derivative is a mathematical tool used to describe how a physical quantity changes as it moves along a given direction. In the context of perfect fluid, the Lie derivative is used to study the variations of fluid properties along its flow lines.

4. How is the variation of perfect fluid related to fluid dynamics?

The variation of perfect fluid is a key concept in fluid dynamics, as it allows us to mathematically describe the changes in fluid properties as it moves. Understanding these variations is crucial in analyzing and predicting the behavior of fluids in various scenarios.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying the variation of perfect fluid?

The study of perfect fluid variation has numerous real-life applications, such as in weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and ocean currents modeling. It is also used in the design and optimization of various engineering systems, such as aircraft and automobiles.