1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of S with fixed end points

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1

Leb

Not really a homework question, just the notes are confusing me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S be a functional.

(Given without proof)
    If S is differentiable its derivative [itex]\delta S[/itex] is uniquely defined as
    [itex]\delta S = \int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}\frac{\delta S}{\delta \gamma} \delta \gamma dx[/itex] where [itex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta \gamma}[/itex]

For functional S
    [itex]S[\gamma]=\int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}L(x,y(x),y'(x))dx[/itex]
    the variation is defined by
    [itex]\delta S=\int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}\left( \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{y'}}\right)\delta \gamma dx + \left.\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{y'}}\delta \gamma \right|_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}[/itex]

Define [itex]\delta \gamma = \epsilon h(x)[/itex] where [itex]\epsilon =const.<< 1[/itex] and h(x) is an arbitrary (perturbation) function.

Now, the notes given by the lecturer say, that if end points are fixed i.e. [itex]h(x_{0})=h(x_{1})=0[/itex] the variation simplifies to

[itex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta \gamma}= \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{y}}-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{y'}}[/itex]

I do not understand, how do we get this (I get how the last term in the variation vanishes). Is this the functional derivative now or just delta S divided by delta gamma ?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]h(x_0)= h(x_1)= 0[/itex], that last term is 0 and the result follows by differentiating both sides.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

Leb

Thanks for your input.I get how the last term vanishes. But how do you differentiate the first term ? How does [itex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta \gamma}[/itex] appear ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook