Various Physics Practice Problems for Exam

In summary, the conversation is about finding solutions to physics problems online. The topics discussed include Conservation of Energy, Work-Energy Theorem, and Collisions. The participants suggest trying to solve the problems oneself and seeking feedback from others.
Charles Lee
Hello everyone,

I found various physics problems online randomly and looks like I can use it to help me study for tests and was wondering if you guys can provide a simple solution/explanation to it. It would be a great help, Thank you!

Conservation of Energy:

a. If Spring 2 can only compress by 2 meters, what mass must the bock have, given the setup depicted in diagram 1, to compress spring 2 by exactly that amount? Note: Assume that the block starts from rest

b. What is the block’s maximum velocity and when and where does it occur?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
D1.PNG

Work-Energy Theorem:
a. What physical condition must be true for the Work-Energy Theorem to become a statement of Conservation of Energy?

b. Use your answer from part a) to derive a statement of Conservation of Energy from the Work-Energy Theorem.

c. Use your answer from part b) to demonstrate that energy is conserved by passing back and forth between Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
3. Collisions:
a. Determine m1 and v3, based on the initial and final conditions depicted in diagram 2...
d2.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Charles, unfortunately we do not provide solutions here in PF, we merely aid you in arriving at a solution yourself. Have you tried these problems yet?

Perhaps post your attempts here and we'll help to critique your answers :D

1. What are some common physics practice problems for exams?

Some common physics practice problems for exams include questions on kinematics, projectile motion, forces, energy, and electric circuits.

2. How can I prepare for physics exams?

To prepare for physics exams, it is important to review class notes, practice solving problems, and utilize study guides or online resources. It's also helpful to attend review sessions and ask for clarification on any concepts you may be struggling with.

3. What types of equations should I memorize for physics exams?

While the specific equations may vary depending on the exam, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental equations in kinematics, Newton's laws, energy, and electricity. It's also helpful to be familiar with any specific equations given by your instructor.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for physics exams?

One way to improve problem-solving skills for physics exams is to practice solving a variety of problems. This will help you become more familiar with the concepts and equations and improve your ability to apply them in different scenarios. It's also helpful to break down problems into smaller parts and use visualization techniques to better understand the problem at hand.

5. What should I do if I encounter a physics problem I don't know how to solve during an exam?

If you encounter a physics problem you don't know how to solve during an exam, it's important to stay calm and read the problem carefully. Look for any clues or hints in the problem and try to use your knowledge of fundamental concepts and equations to approach the problem. If you're still unsure, it's okay to skip the problem and come back to it later. Use your time wisely and come back to the problem if you have time remaining.