Vary Metric w/ Respect to Veirbein: How To?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Physicist97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Physicist97
Messages
31
Reaction score
4
Hello! Given a metric in terms of the Veirbein, ##g_{\mu\nu}=e^{a}_{\mu}e^{b}_{\nu}{\eta}_{ab}## , how would you go about varying it with respect to ##e^{a}_{\mu}## ? I know that ##{\delta}g_{\mu\nu}={\delta}e^{a}_{\mu}e^{b}_{\nu}{\eta}_{ab}+e^{a}_{\mu}{\delta}e^{b}_{\nu}{\eta}_{ab}## , with ##{\delta}{\eta}_{ab}=0## . Then I would divide both sides by ##{\delta}e^{a}_{\mu}## , but that leaves me with the term ##{\frac{{\delta}e^{b}_{\nu}}{{\delta}e^{a}_{\mu}}}## . What would I do with that? Thanks for any help :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Typically you'd assume that the components of the vierbein are independent variables, so that ##\delta e^b_\nu / \delta e^a_\mu = \delta^b_a \delta^\mu_\nu##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physicist97
Thank you! I have another question, assuming there is torsion, how would you go about taking the variation of the christoffel symbol with respect to the veirbein, ##{\delta}{\Gamma}^{\sigma}_{\mu\nu}/{\delta}e^{a}_{\tau}## ? If it was torsion-free I would just take the christoffel symbols in terms of the metric, and do a very long, algebraically tedious calculation. But I can't seem to find an equation for the christoffel symbols when there is torsion.
 
Are you working from a particular reference? In Einstein-Cartan theory, I believe that the metric and torsion tensor are taken to be independent variables. In this theory, the covariant derivative is

$$ \nabla_\mu V_\nu = \partial_\mu V_\nu - ({\Gamma^\rho}_{\mu\nu} + {K^\rho}_{\mu\nu} )V_\rho,~~~(*)$$

where ##{\gamma^\rho}_{\mu\nu}## is the usual Christoffel symbol expressed in terms of the metric and ##{K^\rho}_{\mu\nu} ## is the contorsion tensor, related to the torsion tensor ##{T^\rho}_{\mu\nu} ## by

$$ K_{\rho\mu\nu} = \frac{1}{2} ( T_{\rho\mu\nu} - T_{\mu\nu\rho} +T_{\nu\rho\mu} ).$$

In this way, ##{\Gamma^\rho}_{\mu\nu}= {\Gamma^\rho}_{\nu\mu}## and all of the torsion is contained in ##{T^\rho}_{\mu\nu}##. Because of the added term in (*) we say that the connection is no longer compatible with the metric.

I believe that you can also write this theory in terms of a vierbein and a spin connection ##{\omega_\mu}^{ab}+{\gamma_\mu}^{ab}##. Here ##{\omega_\mu}^{ab}## is the parti of the spin connection that can be related to the Christoffel symbol (as in the theory without torsion), while ##{\gamma_\mu}^{ab}## contains the torsion via something like

$$ {\gamma_\mu}^{ab} = K_{\rho\sigma \mu} ( e^{a\rho} e^{b\sigma} - e^{a\sigma} e^{b\rho}).$$

Presumably you can take ##e^a_\mu, {\omega_\mu}^{ab} ##, and ##{\gamma_\mu}^{ab}## as independent variables.

I referred to this review by Shapiro to gather the formulas together, but I don't think he addresses the variational principle directly in this formalism.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physicist97
Thank you again. No I'm not working from any reference. I'm trying to self study GR from Sean Carroll's online notes, and am working with Veirbeins, Spin Connection, etc. because i find them interesting, and to get practice with these things. Your explanation cleared a lot of things up, I appreciate the help.
 
You wrote twice veirbein instead of vierbein. The word comes from Germany where vier = 4 (ein, zwei, drei,vier). Tetrad comes Greece (tetra = 4)
Greetings from France.