Varying Minkowski Metric: Is {\delta}{\eta}_{\mu\nu}=0?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Physicist97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metric Minkowski
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Physicist97
Messages
31
Reaction score
4
So I was wondering, is the variation of the Minkowski Metric zero? As in ##{\delta}{\eta}_{\mu\nu}=0## . I would think this is the case because the components of the Minkowski Metric are just numbers (either +1 or -1), so varying it gives you 0. Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean ? ημν is just and bunch of zero and +/- 1 every where, so normally it's differential is equal to zero !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physicist97
Right, well that's what I was asking haha. I just needed some reassurance that it was the correct answer, thank you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Noctisdark