##\vec v## and ##\vec a## expressions - motion on an off center circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of decomposing velocity into its radial and angular components due to inconsistencies in the use of the angular coordinate. The speaker also mentions trouble understanding a problem involving the variable q(t) and its relationship to time.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
A particle moves along a circular trajectory, and its angular coordinate depends on ##q(t)=0,8t##. Considering ##Q## as the origin, find the expressions for velocity and acceleration in function of time, and also their radial and angular components.
Relevant Equations
##\dot{r} = \dot{r} e_r + r \dot{\theta} e_\theta ##
##\ddot{x} = (\ddot{r}-r \dot{\theta}^2) e_r + (r \ddot{\theta}+2 \dot{r} \dot{\theta}) e_\theta##
Well, I tried decomposing velocity into its components on the radial and angular axis. But I have problems with the angles because in some parts of the trajectory the velocity is on the angular coordinate, but in other parts it isn't. I mean, I can't say ##V=V e_\theta## because it's not always like that. So I'm having problems finding out which trigonometric relationship should I use to be able to decompose it.

20190831_142328.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's unclear how you worded the problem in the OP what ## q(t) ## is. The problem probably is somewhat routine, but I can't follow what ## q(t)=0,8t ## means.

1. What is the difference between "##\vec v##" and "##\vec a##" in terms of motion on an off center circle?

The expression "##\vec v##" represents the velocity vector of an object, which is the rate of change of its position with respect to time. On the other hand, "##\vec a##" represents the acceleration vector, which is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In motion on an off center circle, the velocity vector points tangent to the circle at any given point, while the acceleration vector points towards the center of the circle.

2. How do "##\vec v##" and "##\vec a##" expressions change as an object moves along an off center circle?

As an object moves along an off center circle, both the velocity and acceleration vectors change in magnitude and direction. The velocity vector remains tangent to the circle, but its magnitude increases or decreases depending on the speed of the object. The acceleration vector also changes in magnitude and direction, always pointing towards the center of the circle.

3. Can the "##\vec v##" and "##\vec a##" expressions be used to describe motion on a straight line?

Yes, the "##\vec v##" and "##\vec a##" expressions can be used to describe motion on a straight line. In this case, the velocity vector points in the direction of motion and the acceleration vector is either in the same direction (if the object is speeding up) or in the opposite direction (if the object is slowing down).

4. How are the "##\vec v##" and "##\vec a##" expressions related to each other in motion on an off center circle?

The "##\vec v##" and "##\vec a##" expressions are related to each other through differentiation. The velocity vector is the first derivative of the position vector, while the acceleration vector is the second derivative of the position vector. This means that the acceleration vector can be calculated by differentiating the velocity vector with respect to time.

5. What is the significance of the direction of the acceleration vector in motion on an off center circle?

The direction of the acceleration vector in motion on an off center circle is significant because it determines the direction of the object's change in velocity. If the acceleration vector is pointing towards the center of the circle, the object's speed will increase. If the acceleration vector is pointing away from the center, the object's speed will decrease. If the acceleration vector is perpendicular to the velocity vector, the object will experience a change in direction but not in speed.