1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Addition using coordinates

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have a vector, labelled A, with the coordinates (2,1,1). Subtract vector B, coordinates (3,-1,4) from vector A.

2. Relevant equations
    Take vector A, and flip vector B in the opposite direction. Line up vector B's tip to vector A's tail, and draw the new vector from tail to tip.

What I am unsure about are those 3 coordinates. I have only learned in class to use two coordinates. What does the third one mean?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm guessing that one number is the x-component, and that one is the y-component. I have no idea what the third one would be, however. Also, I have no idea what order they are in!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The third number is the z-component. They are always written in the order (x, y, z). In this context they are called the components of the vector. To add vectors given their components, just add x-components, to give the resultant vector x-component, the y-components to give the resultant vector y-component.... etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?