Vector B in Magnetic Potential Energy

In summary, the formula U = -m x B is used to calculate the potential energy of a permanent magnet (m) in an external magnetic field (B). It is important to note that when calculating the potential energy for a specific object (such as Z), only the external magnetic field should be taken into account, not the magnetic field of the object itself (such as X). The potential energy for each object (X and Z) may be different depending on the strength of the external magnetic field.
Phztastic
U = -m x B

Is B the total magnetic field of the whole system?
If there is two objects X,Z and they all have a magnetic field. But different strengths,
I want to calculate the U for Z, B should be the total magnetic field of BOTH fields or only X's field strength?

Since X is the external magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the calculation of U = -m x B
You should only take account of the EXTERNAL MAGNETIC FIELD acting on the magnetic moment.
Meaning, if you'd like to figure out the U of Z, then only use the magnetic field of X.

Similarly if you want to calculate U of X, then you use only the magnetic field of Z.

I wonder, is the potential energy of both X and Z the same, I'll leave that up to you Phztastic.

Phztastic said:
U = -m x B
[itex]U=-m\cdot B[/itex] if U is the energy, m is a permanent magnet, and B is the external field.

1. What is Vector B in Magnetic Potential Energy?

Vector B in Magnetic Potential Energy, also known as the magnetic field, is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force at any given point in space.

2. How is Vector B related to Magnetic Potential Energy?

Vector B and Magnetic Potential Energy are closely related, as the strength of the magnetic field directly affects the amount of potential energy stored in a magnetic system.

3. How is Vector B calculated?

Vector B is calculated using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current-carrying wire.

4. What are the units for Vector B?

The units for Vector B are tesla (T), which is equivalent to kg/(s^2*A), or newton per ampere per meter (N/(A*m)).

5. How does Vector B affect the behavior of charged particles?

Charged particles, such as electrons, are affected by the magnetic field and will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and their velocity. This is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for the circular motion of charged particles in a magnetic field.