1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus - Having trouble finding a Line

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    I know this has been posted before, and i've read the post concerning the same problem and i've googled this a million times, but i cant seem to get it. So here's the problem:

Given a Point and a Line, find the Line that passes through the point (3,1,-2) and is perpendicular to the line x=-1+t, y=-2+t, z=-1+t.

Okay, so i found the direction vector of the given line (which i'll call l) to be (1,1,1).
    I know that a vector lying on l and a vector lying on the line i need to find (which i'll call l'), when you apply the dot product to those 2 vectors it must equal 0 in order for them to be perpendicular.

I know i have to use orthagonal projection, well i think i need to. So far i took the point given (which i called Q) and a point on the line given (which i called P) to find the vector QP, which (in my case) is (4,3,-1).

From here i'm lost with what to do, i've been sitting here racking my brain trying different things but i just cant seem to figure out how to find the line. I'm not asking for a solution but a *simple* set of steps or something like that to follow would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try the following system:
    given line L=(-1,-2,-1)+(1,1,1)t
    other line K=(3,1,-2)+(a,b,c)s

Known equations:
    a+b+c=0 (perpendicular)
    a^2+b^2+c^2=1 (normalization, since an arbitrary multiple is allowed)
    To complete the problem definition, we need to assume K and L must meet at some point, otherwise, K could be any line in a plane passing through (3,1,-2) and perpendicular to L. This then gives us 3 more equations K(s)=L(t).

Solve the system (5 equations - 4 linear and 1 quadratic) for 5 unknowns (a,b,c,s,t).

Good luck!

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3
    Thanks! I think i get it now and i'll try it in a minute i just have one question. What do you mean by the second step of your "Known Equations" section? I dont see where this one equation is coming from, but i get the rest. Thanks so much!

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4
    Also, i dont know where to begin solving this system of equations :(

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a^2+b^2+c^2=1 is thrown in because (a,b,c) can be replaced by (fa,fb,fc), where f is arbitrary. Otherwise the whole system floats.

As far as solving the system, I suggest solving the four linear equations to get rid of s and t and either a,b, or c. Since the relationships among a,b, and c will be linear, these can be inserted into the normalization equation to get a quadratic in one remaining variable.

7. Sep 12, 2008 #6
    Thanks so much for the help! I figured it out, our TA did it differently but i prefer the approach suggested - it's more difficult but more concrete. Our TA suggested minimizing the distance equation between the point and the line, which is also effective, i thought of doing that but i liked the more difficult approach suggested. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?