1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector clock and vector dog displacement problems

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The minute hand on a watch is 2.00 cm in length. What is the length (in cm) of the i hat component of the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM? What is the length (in cm) of the j hat component of the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM?

2. Relevant equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble trying to find a geometric way of viewing the problem.
    /\
    l This is how I'm viewing 8:00 to 8:20 AM with only the minute hand.
    l 2 cm
    l
    \
    \ 2 cm
    \
    >

What I'm trying to figure out in the problem is what are the x and y components. My attempt is this:

x component
    /\----
    l l
    l l
    l l y component
    \ l
    \ l
    \ l
    >

I know from the tip of the minute hand at 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM is 2.8 cm, (2^2 + 2^2 = C^2, C = 2.8 cm)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Jill's dog Sparky runs 70.0 m northeast to a tree, then 30.0 m west to a second tree, and finally 90.0 south to a third tree. Draw a picture and establish a coordinate system. Calculate the x component (in m) of Sparky's net displacement.
    Calculate the y component (in m) of Sparky's net displacement.
    Calculate the magnitude (in m) of Sparky's net displacement

2. Relevant equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

3. The attempt at a solution

For this problem, I'm again having trouble setting up values to put into an equation and viewing what in a picture is the x and y components. Here is a picture of how I'm attempting to view the problem with a coordinate system.

/\
    l 30 m
    -- l--------/
    l l /
    l 76.2 m l /
    l l / 70.0 m
    90 m l l /
    l l /
    <-------------------- l -------------------->
    l l
    l l
    l l
    l l
    -- l
    l
    l
    l
    \/

Much thanks,
    Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    Actually I'm clueless on putting the drawings I had for the problems into html so disregard the attempted pictures.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't make out your figure. But, how about using the angle made by the minute hand, and some trig, in order to get the x and y components of the hand's tip at the times listed (8:00 and 8:20)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook