1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector components - displacement

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A train moving at a constant speed of 100km/h travels east for 40min, then 30o east of north for 20 min, and finally west for 30min. What is the train's average velocity for the trip?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have to calculate displacement from the given velocities, using vector components for 100km/h [30o E of N]. Then I find the total x displacement and total y displacement and divide by time (1.5h) to find the x and y velocities. I'm not sure what to do after this :S.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That will give you the components of the average velocity. Find the magnitude of that vector.

4. Jul 6, 2010 #3
    Oh , I have to use Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant vector, right?

I divide that value by 1.5hr.

And finally I can find the direction by using the arctangent of the displacement components?

I end up getting 29.4 km/h [41 degrees north of east] , but I'm not sure if it's correct since I haven't been given answers to the problem.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's right.

Looks good to me!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  6. Jul 6, 2010 #5
    Thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook