Vector differential identity proof

In summary, the identity states that:\mathbf{(a\times\nabla)\times b+a\nabla\cdot b=a\times(\nabla\times b)+(a\cdot\nabla)b}
_jo_
Hi,
I am a engineering student and I am currently upgrading my maths level on my own to follow physics courses. While reading a book, I came across a vector differential identity that I don't manage to prove using index notation.
The identity is the following:
[tex]
\nabla(\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}) =
\vec{A} \times (\nabla \times \vec{B}) + (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla)\vec{B}
+ \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) + (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla)\vec{A}
[/tex]
Could you please give me a hint on how to prove this ?
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to use index notation? In any case what makes this formula a bit strange is that it can be cast into many forms and that is in some sense not the natural one.

For example the identity

[tex]\mathbf{(a\times\nabla)\times b+a\nabla\cdot b=a\times(\nabla\times b)+(a\cdot\nabla)b}[/tex]

shows we can express each of those four terms in terms of the others
also we can chose to use or not use dyatic terms

two links
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=297027
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273630

Thank you, I wanted to use index notation because it proved really usefull for developping vector identities. But if this identity's proof does not lend itself to this notation, I don't see the necessity to use it.

In one of your links, you posted this:

[tex]
\nabla (\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = \nabla_{\vec{A}}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) + \nabla_{\vec{B}}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla_{\vec{A}}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = B \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) + (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla)\vec{A}
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla_{\vec{B}}(\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B}) = A \times (\nabla \times \vec{B}) + (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla)\vec{B}
[/tex]
[tex]
\nabla(\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}) =
\vec{A} \times (\nabla \times \vec{B}) + (\vec{A} \cdot \nabla)\vec{B} + \vec{B} \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) + (\vec{B} \cdot \nabla)\vec{A}
[/tex]

But how do you develop the 2nd and 3rd lines from the partial gradient ?

[tex]\mathbf{\nabla_b (a\cdot b)=(a\times\nabla)\times b+a(\nabla\cdot b)=a\times(\nabla\times b)+(a\cdot\nabla)b}[/tex]

follows from the vector algebra identity

[tex]\mathbf{c(a\cdot b)=(a\times c)\times b+a(c\cdot b)=a\times(c\times b)+(a\cdot c)b}[/tex]

or in index form the identity (not guaranteed typo free)

δilδjkmjlεimkijδklijmεmlkikδjl

can be applied to

δilδjkajbk,l

Care must be taken when using algebra identities to deduce calculus identities, mainly because by normal convention differential operators are right acting so we must not change multiplication order. We would not like to make an error like

[tex]\nabla\cdot b=b\cdot\nabla[/tex]

It is also possible and convenient to change to bidirectional differential operators and back so that manipulations can be unrestricted.

Thanks a lot ! That was really helpful !

1. What is a vector differential identity?

Vector differential identity is a mathematical concept that relates to the properties and operations of vectors in a given coordinate system. It is used to prove various vector equations and theorems, and is an essential tool in vector calculus.

2. What is the purpose of proving a vector differential identity?

The main purpose of proving a vector differential identity is to demonstrate the validity of a vector equation or theorem. This helps to establish a deeper understanding of the properties and relationships of vectors, and allows for the application of these concepts in solving real-world problems.

3. How is a vector differential identity proven?

A vector differential identity is proven by manipulating and simplifying vector equations using various algebraic and geometric techniques. This involves breaking down the components of a vector into its individual parts and applying the rules of vector operations to establish the equality between the two sides of the equation.

4. What are some common vector differential identities?

Some common vector differential identities include the cross product identity, divergence theorem, and curl theorem. These identities are used to prove various vector equations and theorems, such as the law of cosines, Green's theorem, and Stokes' theorem.

5. Why is understanding vector differential identities important?

Understanding vector differential identities is crucial for any scientist or mathematician working with vectors. These concepts are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, and provide a powerful tool for solving complex problems and analyzing physical systems.