Vector Exercises: Solve for a & b

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion with vector exercises and their request for help. The first exercise involves finding the length and direction of a displacement vector without a given angle, which the student assumes to be 45 degrees. The correct angle is actually found by measuring from the East-West axis. The second exercise involves solving simultaneous equations to find the values of a and b. The student is unsure about which angle to submit as the answer, but ultimately decides to use the angle measured from the East-West axis as it is specified in the question.
Electro
Hello Everyone,
In school I had a test of Vector exercises. The problem is that I have to submit them online and I need the exact value for the questions. Anyway I don't want you to solve them for me. I just need some help where I am stuck.

The first exercise: A boy runs 3.3 m North, 7.1 m NorthEast and 15.6 m West. a)Determine the length of the displacement vector tha goes from the starting point to his final position. b)Determine the direction of the displacement vector.

I was confused by this exercise because there isn't any angle given. So I assumed that "NorthEast" means that he moves 7.1 m with an angle 45 Deg.
Then part a) is easy. For part b) I found the angle formed by the North line and the Resultant vector. Am I right here?

The next exercise is a little fuzzy I think: Let aA + bB + C=0, where
A=(17,-99), B=(-99,28) and C=(4.3,78), where Ax=17 units, Ay=-99 units etc. What is the value of a and b? (All the Upper case letters A,B and C have the vector arrow above).
What I did is: I opened aA + bB + C=0 using unit vectors i, j and k (k=0) and the numbers given above.
Still I have a and b and it's an equation with 2 unknowns.
The final expression I concluded is: (a*17i-b*99i+4.3i)+(b*28j-a*99j+78j)=0...?
What I think now, is forming two simultaneous equations.
1) 17a-99b= -4.3
2) 28b-99a= -78
Solving them, I think is the answer for a and b.
Since the i units can't be added to the j units I formed two equations just neglecting i and j (the brackets give 0). So for i group it will give 0 and for j group too.

Please I need an answer whether I am right or not.

Thank you
Electro

Physics news on Phys.org
Electro said:
Hello Everyone,
In school I had a test of Vector exercises. The problem is that I have to submit them online and I need the exact value for the questions. Anyway I don't want you to solve them for me. I just need some help where I am stuck.

The first exercise: A boy runs 3.3 m North, 7.1 m NorthEast and 15.6 m West. a)Determine the length of the displacement vector tha goes from the starting point to his final position. b)Determine the direction of the displacement vector.

I was confused by this exercise because there isn't any angle given. So I assumed that "NorthEast" means that he moves 7.1 m with an angle 45 Deg.
Then part a) is easy. For part b) I found the angle formed by the North line and the Resultant vector. Am I right here?

Yes north-east means 45 degrees, but you should find the angle formed with the East-West axis.

The next exercise is a little fuzzy I think: Let aA + bB + C=0, where
A=(17,-99), B=(-99,28) and C=(4.3,78), where Ax=17 units, Ay=-99 units etc. What is the value of a and b? (All the Upper case letters A,B and C have the vector arrow above).
What I did is: I opened aA + bB + C=0 using unit vectors i, j and k (k=0) and the numbers given above.
Still I have a and b and it's an equation with 2 unknowns.
The final expression I concluded is: (a*17i-b*99i+4.3i)+(b*28j-a*99j+78j)=0...?
What I think now, is forming two simultaneous equations.
1) 17a-99b= -4.3
2) 28b-99a= -78
Solving them, I think is the answer for a and b.
Since the i units can't be added to the j units I formed two equations just neglecting i and j (the brackets give 0). So for i group it will give 0 and for j group too.

Please I need an answer whether I am right or not.

Thank you
Electro

You have: (17a - 99b + 4.3)i + (28b - 99a + 78)j = 0 = 0i + 0j

which is correct.

Thanks a lot Jcdsd,
I still have a question which I couldn't understand from the book and the professor. Why should we take the angle of the displacement from the East West direction and not from the North line. So I found that the angle is about 53 degrees with the North, but taking it with respect to WE line, it would be 53+90=143 degrees. I attached a simple picture to demonstrate what I think. But an advice will be really helpful.

ThankYou

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 429
It's just because the East line is analagous to the postive x-axis, which by convention we usually measure the angles of our vectors from. Of course as long as you are clear in what you are doing it doesn't really matter which angle you take.

:rofl: Thank God I have the right concepts on my mind. The problem Jcsd is that I have to submit the answer online and it is not the same as submitting the answer as 53 deg. and 143 deg. This is my dilemma. Anyway I will chose the one with respect to the West East line because it says "Determine the direction of the displacement vector". So it doesn't specify the North line.
Thanks Again :biggrin:

1. What are vector exercises?

Vector exercises involve solving for the unknown variables, a and b, in a given vector equation. This requires using mathematical principles and operations to determine the values of a and b that satisfy the given equation.

2. What is the purpose of solving for a and b in vector exercises?

The purpose of solving for a and b is to fully understand and manipulate vector equations, which are often used in mathematical and scientific fields. It also allows for the prediction and calculation of various physical quantities.

3. What are the steps for solving for a and b in vector exercises?

The steps for solving for a and b may vary depending on the specific vector equation, but generally involve isolating a and b on one side of the equation and using mathematical operations to solve for their values. It may also involve converting between different forms of vectors, such as cartesian and polar coordinates.

4. What are some common challenges when solving for a and b in vector exercises?

Some common challenges include complex vector equations, multiple unknown variables, and the need for knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts such as dot and cross products. It may also be challenging to visualize and understand the physical meaning of the vector equation.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving for a and b in vector exercises?

Practice is key in improving skills in solving for a and b in vector exercises. It is also helpful to review mathematical principles and operations related to vectors, and to seek help or resources when encountering challenging problems. Additionally, visualization and understanding the physical meaning of the equations can aid in solving them.