1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector expressions - equivalence

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car is travelling at 12ms^-1. To the passenger in the car the wind appears to be blowing at 8.0ms^-1 at right angles to the road. What is the magnitude and direction of the velocity of the wind with respect to the ground.

2. Relevant equations
    I can think of two possible vector expressions which should be equivalent. I am clearly doing something wrong because they are not.
    Using:
    vwg = velocity of wind wrt ground
    vcg = velocity of car wrt ground
    vwc = velocity of wind wrt car
    Expression 1
    vwg = vwc + vcg

Expression 2 (following the rule of subtracting the observer's movement)
    vwc= vwg-vcg

Yes - I'm aware I should add the negative vector and that the negative sign means the reverse direction

3. The attempt at a solution

Expression 1:
    The solution vector diagram is (excuse the dots so I don't lose the spaces):

^----------->vcg
    |..............^
    |vwc ..... /
    |........ / vwg
    |....../
    |../
    |/
    It gives a vwg magnitude of c. 14ms^-1 and a direction of tan^-1(8/12) = c. 34 degrees with the wind coming from behind the car

Expression 2:
    The solution vector diagram is:

<----------------- -vcg
    .^.......................^
    ....\....................|
    ........\ ...............| vwc
    ....vwg..\.............|
    ..............\..........|
    ..................\......|
    ......................\..|
    .........................\|
    Of course the magnitude is the same as in the previous example but the direction is
    tan^-1 (8/-12) = -34 degrees.

My concern is that the wind appears to be coming from the front!

Gloom - what have I misunderstood?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2
    Your method is correct. The answer is not exactly 14m/s. In both cases it is only the direction you start with that results in the -ive or +ive sign. Why do you think the wind appears to be coming from the front?

4. Jan 4, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your reassurance. I lacked the confidence to be certain the second vector diagram was the equivalent of the first - especially because vector arithmetic is new to me. I would like to ask this naive question - if a, b and c are vector quantities and they are related:
    a = b+c
    then is it correct to transpose so that:
    b= a-c
    ?

Why did I think the wind was coming from the front? The honest answer is twofold: first: sometimes I have a pathological inability to imagine the behaviour of the real word and, second I had convinced myself the second expression/vector diagram was telling a different story to the first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?