1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the velocity of particle x with reference to Y?

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particle X moves with a velocity of 15 m/s[R]. Particle Y moves with a velocity of 5.0 m/s[L]. What is the velocity of particle X with reference to particle Y? The correct answer is 20 m/s (R).

I do not understand what velocity in reference to particle Y means, and how to find it.

2. Relevant equations
    d= (vi)t + 1/2 at^2
    (vf)^2= (vi)^2 + 2ad
    vf= vi + at
    a=(vi+vf)/2 X t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have drawn the vectors ( not sure if correctly done), but i do not know what my next step is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2
    the correct answer is 20

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3
    Referance frame means you need to take that point which make observation.In this situation referance frame Y means, Y car is your observer.You dont need to find anything about referance frame, its just a concept.I think you dont now the idea of referance frame.I will recommend you watch this.It will help you the understand of idea.Then you may do the question yourself.And the equations which you wrote are not gonna help us to solve this question.They are unnecessary.

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4
    If you didnt understnd again tell me which I can help you to solve the question

6. Jun 18, 2015 #5
    thank you ! I understood it .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted