Vector Magnitude Proof (Geometrically)

In summary, The question is to prove that |A-B| >= |A| - |B|, where A and B are vectors and |A| refers to the magnitude of vector A. The person asking the question wants to prove it using geometry and is wondering what cases they would need to consider. They suggest using triangles with different angles between A and B, and showing that the inequality holds for each case. Another person suggests visualizing the sets of vectors as two circles and using the fact that any line segment connecting the circles must have a length greater than or equal to the perpendicular line segments connecting them. This means |A-B| >= |A| - |B|.
mattmns
I have this question from my book:

Prove that |A-B| >= |A| - |B|

Note that A and B are vectors, and that |A| means magnitude of vector A.
------

I have already proved this using a cheap trick, but I want to prove it using geometry instead. My question is about what cases I would need. Meaning that since there is a triangle formed (if I put A, B, and A-B together) what would I need to do in order to provide a sufficient geometric proof.

I was thinking of having A - B form a triangle and having a triangle with an acute angle between A and B, and then having a triangle with an obtuse angle between A and B, and then having A and B form a straight line. And of course showing on each of these that |A-B| >= |A| - |B|

Would that be sufficient?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you recognize the inequality?

By "geometrically", are algebraic vector methods or trigonometric methods allowed? Or are you looking for a "visual proof without words"?

Your method looks sufficient to me (assuming the zero angle and straight angles are treated)... but possibly not elegant... unless, for example, the obtuse case uses the acute case.

my $0.01

You can visualize the set of all vectors of length |a| as a circle and the set of all vectors of length |b| as another circle enclosing or being enclosed by the first. Then any line segment drawn between the two circles obviously has length greater than or equal to the line segments that go perpendicularly from the inner circle to the outer. That means |a - b| >= ||a| - |b|| so |a - b| >= |a| - |b|.

1. What is a vector magnitude?

A vector magnitude is a measure of the size or length of a vector in a particular direction. It is represented by a positive numerical value and is typically denoted by the symbol "||v||".

2. How is vector magnitude calculated?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In the case of a vector, the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. Is vector magnitude the same as vector length?

Yes, vector magnitude and vector length are essentially the same thing. They both refer to the size or length of a vector in a specific direction.

4. How is vector magnitude represented geometrically?

Vector magnitude can be represented geometrically by the length of an arrow or line segment that represents the vector. The longer the arrow or line, the greater the magnitude of the vector.

5. What is the importance of vector magnitude in science and mathematics?

Vector magnitude is an important concept in science and mathematics because it allows us to quantify the size or strength of a vector, which is often used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It also plays a crucial role in vector operations and calculations.