Vector Magnitudes given only direction-help

In summary, the person is trying to find the distances B and C traveled on the way back to camp after traveling 230M at an angle 31 degrees south of east to get to a store. They attempted to use the law of sins and the dot and cross products but were unsuccessful. They were able to solve the problem by setting up two equations using the x and y components of the vectors and solving for B and C.
jcwhitts
Vector Magnitudes given only direction--help!

Homework Statement

You leave your campsite to go get supplies at a store. You travel 230M at an angle 31 degrees south of east to get there(I'll call this vector A for simplicity's sake). On the way back to camp, you go a distance B at 43 degrees north of west and a distance C at 60 degrees south of west. Find the distances B and C.

Homework Equations

Not sure. I've tried the law of sins: sin(a)/A=sin(b)/B=sin(c)/C. I can't think of anyway to use the dot product or cross product to solve this problem, though that's what the section is supposedly about.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the law of sins first. Initially, I used the angles provided and got a wrong answer, as I didn't manipulate the measures of the angles. Later, I tried making the X-axis go along A and adjusting the angle between A and B to 12 degrees and the angle between B and C as 103 degrees. This also gave a wrong answer of 213.95. (I had the sin(103)/230=sin(65)/B)). I got the 65 degree based on triangles having 180 degrees.

I've also attempted setting up a system of equations for the components of B and C, as I know that the X and Y components of B and C must add up to be the opposite of the X and Y components of vector A, but I hit a wall there as well.

I haven't attempted finding the distance of C until I am sure B is correct.

I have no idea why the dot or cross product is pertinent in the case, if it is at all.

I have a feeling I am either missing a very simple concept, making a math error in the angles I am using, or just making the problem harder than it needs to be.

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

jcwhitts said:

Homework Statement

You leave your campsite to go get supplies at a store. You travel 230M at an angle 31 degrees south of east to get there(I'll call this vector A for simplicity's sake). On the way back to camp, you go a distance B at 43 degrees north of west and a distance C at 60 degrees south of west. Find the distances B and C.

Homework Equations

Not sure. I've tried the law of sins: sin(a)/A=sin(b)/B=sin(c)/C. I can't think of anyway to use the dot product or cross product to solve this problem, though that's what the section is supposedly about.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the law of sins first. Initially, I used the angles provided and got a wrong answer, as I didn't manipulate the measures of the angles. Later, I tried making the X-axis go along A and adjusting the angle between A and B to 12 degrees and the angle between B and C as 103 degrees. This also gave a wrong answer of 213.95. (I had the sin(103)/230=sin(65)/B)). I got the 65 degree based on triangles having 180 degrees.

I've also attempted setting up a system of equations for the components of B and C, as I know that the X and Y components of B and C must add up to be the opposite of the X and Y components of vector A, but I hit a wall there as well.

I haven't attempted finding the distance of C until I am sure B is correct.

I have no idea why the dot or cross product is pertinent in the case, if it is at all.

I have a feeling I am either missing a very simple concept, making a math error in the angles I am using, or just making the problem harder than it needs to be.

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated.

Lets reserve comment on the laws of sin. But that said you will need to solve for both of your unknowns with what you do know.

Since you end up back at the same place - camp - then the x,y components of all the vectors must add to 0. This should allow you to construct 2 equations - one for the sum of x components in terms of angles and unknowns and likewise for all the y components. Then you can solve for B and C.

For instance 240*Cos31 - B*Cos43 - C*Cos60 = 0
Develop the equation for Y and then you can calculate for B and C.

Last edited:

Thanks a lot! I was making this question way too hard... I forgot how to solve simple systems of equations. I kept getting 0=0 because when I tried it before, I substituted the variable I solved for into the same equation rather than whichever I hadn't solved initially.

Thanks again!

1. What is a vector magnitude?

A vector magnitude is the length or size of a vector in a given direction. It is represented by a numerical value and a unit, such as meters or miles.

2. How is vector magnitude calculated?

The vector magnitude is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, for a vector with components (3,4), the magnitude would be sqrt(3^2 + 4^2) = 5.

3. Can vector magnitude be negative?

No, vector magnitude cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the absolute size of the vector.

4. What is the relationship between vector direction and magnitude?

The vector direction and magnitude are two essential components of a vector. The direction indicates the angle at which the vector is pointing, while the magnitude represents the length of the vector in that direction. They are both necessary to fully describe a vector.

5. How does vector magnitude affect the overall motion of an object?

The vector magnitude affects the speed or velocity of an object in a given direction. A larger magnitude means a faster speed, while a smaller magnitude means a slower speed. The direction of the vector also impacts the object's motion, as it determines the path it will follow.