Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Potential and Zero Divergence

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to understand when a vector field is equal to the curl of a vector potential. Why is it possible that there is always a vector potential with zero divergence?

Relevent Equation:

B=∇χA

I'm trying to understand the proof that the above vector potential A can be one with zero divergence.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

We know that if we perform a gauge transformation [itex]A = A' + \triangledown \xi[/itex], where [itex]\xi[/itex] is an arbitrary scalar field, then both [itex]A'[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] result in the same observed magnetic field i.e. [itex]B = \triangledown \times A' = \triangledown \times A[/itex] (and of course, as usual, we have to perform the associated gauge transformation of the scalar potential to keep the observed electric field the same).

Say we are given a vector potential [itex]A'[/itex]. We can find a [itex]\xi[/itex] that solves [itex]\triangledown ^{2}\xi = -\triangledown \cdot A'[/itex]. Performing the gauge transformation [itex]A = A' + \triangledown \xi [/itex] we see that [itex]\triangledown \cdot A = \triangledown \cdot A' + \triangledown ^{2}\xi = 0[/itex] hence we can fix this gauge (again, after performing the associated gauge transformation of the scalar potential) so that we have [itex]B = \triangledown \times A, \triangledown \cdot A = 0[/itex]. This is called the Coulomb gauge.

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    Thank You!!!

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook