Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the gradient of a divergence and is it always zero?

1. Nov 14, 2017 #1
    Hi Folks,

Was just curious as to what is the gradient of a divergence is and is it always equal to the zero vector. I am doing some free lance research and find that I need to refresh my knowledge of vector calculus a bit. I am having some difficulty with finding web-based sources for the gradient of a divergence.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 14, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the info fresh_42. I found those two links very helpful and I solved my problem of the reason for my inquiry.

5. Nov 14, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One very important vector identity, (it is used in showing Maxwell's equations result in an electromagnetic wave equation), is ## \nabla \times \nabla \times \vec{A}=\nabla (\nabla \cdot \vec{A})-\nabla^2 \vec{A} ##. For the case that is often shown to demonstrate the wave equation in a vacuum, ## \nabla \cdot \vec{E}=0 ##, but in general, the first term on the right side of the vector identity equation is not equal to zero.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted