What is the gradient of a divergence and is it always zero?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 16K views
James Essig
Messages
68
Reaction score
2
Hi Folks,

Was just curious as to what is the gradient of a divergence is and is it always equal to the zero vector. I am doing some free lance research and find that I need to refresh my knowledge of vector calculus a bit. I am having some difficulty with finding web-based sources for the gradient of a divergence.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the info fresh_42. I found those two links very helpful and I solved my problem of the reason for my inquiry.
 
One very important vector identity, (it is used in showing Maxwell's equations result in an electromagnetic wave equation), is ## \nabla \times \nabla \times \vec{A}=\nabla (\nabla \cdot \vec{A})-\nabla^2 \vec{A} ##. For the case that is often shown to demonstrate the wave equation in a vacuum, ## \nabla \cdot \vec{E}=0 ##, but in general, the first term on the right side of the vector identity equation is not equal to zero.