Vector Problem-Direction and Magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of the resultant force Fr resulting from the addition of two forces, F1 and F2. The person attempted to use the sine law and drew parallel lines, but obtained two different answers for Fr and could not determine its direction. The other person suggests using the known side lengths and angle to find the magnitude and direction of F1+F2.
baseballer10p

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of the resultant force Fr=F1+F2 and its direction measured from the positive u axis.
staticsproblem.jpg

Homework Equations

Law of Sines?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew parallel lines and attempted to use the sine law, but I got two different answers.
Here's the equations I used:
Fr/sin100 = 200/sin50
Fr/sin100 = 300/sin30

staticsproblem2.jpg

Using these equations, I got two different answers for Fr, and didn't get any direction.Other than what I tried, I don't know what to do. We weren't taught how to find the magnitude from components or taught how to find direction.

Attachments

• statics problem.JPG
    statics problem.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 414
  • statics problem 2.JPG
    statics problem 2.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can't see your images, can you link it instead?

Yes, sir.

The problem is that you're assuming F1 + F2 ends up along the u axis... it doesn't.

I have to use the angles to figure out which direction the resultant force is pointing after [tex]F_1[/tex] and [tex]F_2[/tex] are added, but I don't know how.

The things you know for sure are the 200, 300 sides... and the 100 degrees angle. You can use those to get the magnitude of F1+F2, and the angles...

Draw a triangle separately from the axes... when you get the angles... then you can draw F1+F2 in correctly...

Ok, thank you sir.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both direction and magnitude. It is represented by an arrow, where the length represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

2. How do you determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is determined by the angle it makes with a reference axis, usually the positive x-axis in a Cartesian coordinate system. This angle is measured counterclockwise from the reference axis.

3. What is magnitude?

Magnitude is the length or size of a vector. It represents the strength or intensity of the vector's quantity, such as force or velocity.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

5. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, such as temperature or time. A vector, on the other hand, has both direction and magnitude. Scalars can be added and subtracted using simple arithmetic, while vectors require vector addition and subtraction taking into account both direction and magnitude.