1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Problem-Direction and Magnitude

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the magnitude of the resultant force Fr=F1+F2 and its direction measured from the positive u axis.
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    Law of Sines?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew parallel lines and attempted to use the sine law, but I got two different answers.
    Here's the equations I used:
    Fr/sin100 = 200/sin50
    Fr/sin100 = 300/sin30

[​IMG]

Using these equations, I got two different answers for Fr, and didn't get any direction.

Other than what I tried, I don't know what to do. We weren't taught how to find the magnitude from components or taught how to find direction.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    can't see your images, can you link it instead?

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
    Yes, sir.

5. Sep 10, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The problem is that you're assuming F1 + F2 ends up along the u axis... it doesn't.

6. Sep 10, 2007 #5
    I have to use the angles to figure out which direction the resultant force is pointing after [tex]F_1[/tex] and [tex]F_2[/tex] are added, but I don't know how.

7. Sep 10, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The things you know for sure are the 200, 300 sides... and the 100 degrees angle. You can use those to get the magnitude of F1+F2, and the angles....

Draw a triangle separately from the axes... when you get the angles... then you can draw F1+F2 in correctly...

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7
    Ok, thank you sir.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?