Vector Problem finding a certain endpoint.

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the midpoint of A and B is (3, -1, 3) and the point Q on the line through A and B such that B lies between A and Q and BQ is three times as long as AB is (10, -7, 11). This is found by using the formula Qx= Ax+ 4(B[subx[/sub]- Ax), Qy= Ay+ 4(B[suby[/sub]- Ay), and Qz= Az+ 4(B[subz[/sub]- Az) based on the concept of similar triangles.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

Let A=(2,3,-1) and B=(4,-5,7). Find the midpoint of A and B. Find the point Q on the line through A and B such that B lies between A and Q and BQ is three times as long as AB

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So to find the midpoint of A and B.

MA+B=(A+B)/2

RHS= (6,-2,6)/2

MA+B=(3,-1,3)

Next I said that the the midpoint of Q and A is 3 × (MA+B)

Hence MQ+A= (9,-3,9)

So now we have the midpoint and one endpoint of the line QA.

so Q+A=2(MQ+A)

so RHS= (18,-6,18)

Hence Q+2=18
Q+3=-6
Q-1=18

so Q=(16,-9,19)

But this was wrong I don't see why?

Physics news on Phys.org
charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

Let A=(2,3,-1) and B=(4,-5,7). Find the midpoint of A and B. Find the point Q on the line through A and B such that B lies between A and Q and BQ is three times as long as AB

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So to find the midpoint of A and B.

MA+B=(A+B)/2
Yes, that is correct.

RHS= (6,-2,6)/2
Why did you change from calling it "MA+B" to "RHS"?

MA+B=(3,-1,3)

Next I said that the the midpoint of Q and A is 3 × (MA+B)
Why would you think that? It certainly is NOT true. To take a simple case, suppose A= 0 and B= 1 on a number line. The distance from A to B is 1 and so the distance from B to Q must be 3. That is, Q= 1+ 3= 4. The midpoint of AB is 1/2 and the midpoint of AQ is 2. 2 is NOT 3 times 1/2.

Hence MQ+A= (9,-3,9)

So now we have the midpoint and one endpoint of the line QA.

so Q+A=2(MQ+A)

so RHS= (18,-6,18)

Hence Q+2=18
Q+3=-6
Q-1=18

so Q=(16,-9,19)

But this was wrong I don't see why?
Because you entire logic is incorrect. The midpoint of AQ is NOT three times the midpoint of AB.

Instead, the length of BQ is three times the length of AB which means the length of AQ= AB+BQ is four times the length of AB. Using "similar triangles" that means that Qx= Ax+ 4(B[subx[/sub]- Ax)= 2+ 4(4- 2)= 2+ 4(2)= 10, etc.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that is correct.

Why did you change from calling it "MA+B" to "RHS"?

Why would you think that? It certainly is NOT true. To take a simple case, suppose A= 0 and B= 1 on a number line. The distance from A to B is 1 and so the distance from B to Q must be 3. That is, Q= 1+ 3= 4. The midpoint of AB is 1/2 and the midpoint of AQ is 2. 2 is NOT 3 times 1/2.

Because you entire logic is incorrect. The midpoint of AQ is NOT three times the midpoint of AB.

Instead, the length of BQ is three times the length of AB which means the length of AQ= AB+BQ is four times the length of AB. Using "similar triangles" that means that Qx= Ax+ 4(B[subx[/sub]- Ax)= 2+ 4(4- 2)= 2+ 4(2)= 10, etc.

Ohh yes it is for times the magnitude... so can I use the same method and say the midpoint of the new line is 4 times the original midpoint?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented graphically as an arrow, with the direction indicated by the orientation of the arrow and the magnitude indicated by the length of the arrow.

2. How do you find the endpoint of a vector?

To find the endpoint of a vector, you need to know the starting point (also called the origin) and the direction and magnitude of the vector. You can then use mathematical operations, such as addition or multiplication, to determine the coordinates of the endpoint.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it includes both speed (magnitude) and direction, while temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

4. How do you represent a vector mathematically?

A vector can be represented mathematically using its components, which are the numerical values that represent the magnitude and direction of the vector. For example, a vector with a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 30 degrees would be represented as 5i + 5j, where i and j represent the x and y components, respectively.

5. How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent physical quantities, such as force and velocity, and to solve problems related to motion, forces, and geometric transformations. They are also used in computer programming and data analysis to represent and manipulate data.