Vector Product Question (Mathematical Methods in Physics Course)

In summary, a vector product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a new vector. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is calculated using a specific formula. The vector product has physical significance in various areas such as determining magnetic fields and calculating torque and angular momentum. It also has several properties that are useful in solving problems in physics. Additionally, the vector product can be used in three-dimensional space, making it a valuable tool in three-dimensional physics problems.
melampyge
Hey guys,

I can't solve the first two problems. Can you help me please ASAP?

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5562/hw1e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Per the forum guidelines, please show your work in attempting to solve the problem.

In the first question i just substitute the vector B in the equation B=del cross A and find it but in the second question it asks me to find A. That's the problem.

1. What is a vector product?

A vector product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a new vector. It is also known as the cross product and is denoted by the symbol "×".

2. How is the vector product calculated?

The vector product is calculated using the formula:
A × B = |A| |B| sinθ n
where |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the two vectors, θ is the angle between them, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B.

3. What is the physical significance of the vector product?

The vector product has several physical interpretations, including finding the direction of a magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire, determining the torque on a rotating object, and calculating the angular momentum of a rotating body.

4. Are there any properties of the vector product?

Yes, the vector product has several properties, including the distributive property, the anti-commutative property, and the triple scalar product property. These properties are useful in simplifying vector calculations and solving problems in physics.

5. Can the vector product be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the vector product can be used in three-dimensional space. In fact, it is most commonly used in three-dimensional problems in physics, such as calculating the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or finding the torque on an object rotating in three dimensions.