Vectorpotential as a function of (t- x/c)

• Thread starter silverwhale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, Landau is using the chain rule to transform the equations for electric and magnetic fields in terms of the vector potential \textbf{A}(\textbf{x},t_r), where t_r is a new variable defined as t_r\equiv t-\frac{x}{c}. This allows for the equation for the electric field to change from a time derivative of \textbf{A} to a derivative over (t- x/c). The \mathbf{\nabla}(t- \frac{x}{c}) term comes from the chain rule, and the \mathbf{n} vector is likely a unit vector in the direction of radiation emission.
silverwhale

Homework Statement

I am working through chapter 47 of the Landau Lifschitz. And there is the following argument:

The vector potential is a function of [tex] t - \frac{x}{c} [/tex]
From the defining equations for the electric and magnetic fields:
[tex] \vec{E} = - \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}, \vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A} [/tex]
follows
[tex] \vec{E} = - \frac{1}{c} \vec{A'} [/tex]
[tex] \vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A} = \nabla (t- \frac{x}{c}) \times \vec{A'} = - \frac{1}{c} \vec{n} \times \vec{A'} [/tex]
[tex] \vec{B} = \vec{n} \times \vec{E} [/tex]

I can't follow his argument.
Why did the equation for the electric field change from a time derivative of A to a derivative over (t- x/c).
And where does that [tex] \nabla (t - x/c) [/tex] come from?
Finally where does that vector n come from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
silverwhale said:

Homework Statement

I am working through chapter 47 of the Landau Lifschitz. And there is the following argument:

The vector potential is a function of [tex] t - \frac{x}{c} [/tex]
From the defining equations for the electric and magnetic fields:
[tex] \vec{E} = - \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial t}, \vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A} [/tex]
follows
[tex] \vec{E} = - \frac{1}{c} \vec{A'} [/tex]
[tex] \vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A} = \nabla (t- \frac{x}{c}) \times \vec{A'} = - \frac{1}{c} \vec{n} \times \vec{A'} [/tex]
[tex] \vec{B} = \vec{n} \times \vec{E} [/tex]

I can't follow his argument.
Why did the equation for the electric field change from a time derivative of A to a derivative over (t- x/c).

Let's define [itex]t_r\equiv t-\frac{x}{c}[/itex]. Then apply the chain rule:

[tex]\begin{aligned}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\textbf{A}(\textbf{x},t_r) &= \frac{\partial t_r}{\partial t}\frac{\partial}{\partial t_r}\textbf{A}(\textbf{x},t_r)+ \frac{\partial \textbf{x}}{\partial t}\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}\left(\textbf{A}(\textbf{x},t_r)\right) \\ &= (1)\textbf{A}'(\textbf{x},t_r)+(\mathbf{0})\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}\left(\textbf{A}(\textbf{x},t_r)\right) \\ &= \textbf{A}'(\textbf{x},t_r)\end{aligned}[/tex]

And where does that [tex] \nabla (t - x/c) [/tex] come from?Finally where does that vector n come from?

Again, use the chain rule: In index notation w/ Einstein summation convention,

[tex]\begin{aligned}\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{A}(\textbf{x},t_r) &= \textbf{e}_i\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_j A_k(\textbf{x},t_r) \\ &= \textbf{e}_i\epsilon_{ijk}\left[(\partial_j\textbf{x})\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}A_k(\textbf{x},t)\right]_{t=t_r} + \textbf{e}_i\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial}{\partial t_r} A_k(x_m\textbf{e}_m,t_r) \partial_j t_r \\ &= \textbf{e}_i\epsilon_{ijk}\left[\textbf{e}_j\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}A_k(\textbf{x},t)\right]_{t=t_r}+ (\mathbf{\nabla}t_r)\times\textbf{A}(x_m\textbf{e}_m,t_r) \\ & = \left[\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{A}(x_m\textbf{e}_m,t)\right]_{t=t_r} -\frac{1}{c} (\mathbf{\nabla}x)\times\textbf{A}(x_m\textbf{e}_m,t_r) \\ & =\end{aligned}[/tex]

I don't have the text with me, but it looks like Landau is describing a case where radiation is emitted in the [itex]\textbf{n}\equiv \mathbf{\nabla}x[/itex] direction, and you are only interested in a region where the non-retarded magnetic field is zero.

1. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field in terms of a vector quantity, rather than a scalar quantity like the electric potential. It is an important tool for understanding and calculating electromagnetic phenomena.

2. How is the vector potential related to time and position?

The vector potential is a function of both time and position, as expressed by the equation (t-x/c). This means that the value of the vector potential at any point in space and time is dependent on the time and position of that point.

3. What does the "c" in the equation (t-x/c) represent?

The "c" in the equation (t-x/c) represents the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in physics. It is used to convert the time and position units to be consistent with the units of the vector potential.

4. How is the vector potential used in practical applications?

The vector potential is used in practical applications to calculate the magnetic field in situations where the electric field is zero, such as in the presence of a steady current. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles with spin.

5. Can the vector potential be measured directly?

No, the vector potential cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the magnetic field, but it does not have a physical manifestation that can be measured. However, its effects can be observed and measured indirectly through the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.