1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors. Adding, subtracting, and velocity questions

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    So I have a few problems that I need help with. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new here and stumped.

1. A woman walks 220 m in the direction 27 degrees east of north, then 205 m directly east.
    (a) find the magnitude (finished it).
    362.5 m

(b) Find the angle of her final displacement from the starting point.
    ???

(c) Find the distance she walks (finished it).

2. Suppose a-b=2c, a+b=9c, and c=5i+3j. (***NOTE: all "a","b", and "c" have directional arrows above them I just didn't know how to put them there. The i and j have ^ above them as well).

(a). What is a?
    ???

(b). What is b?

5. At one instant a bicyclist is 35 m due east of a park's flagpole, going due south with a speed of 11 m/s. Then, 12 s later, the cyclist is 50 m due north of the flagpole, going due east with a speed of 12 m/s. For the cyclist in this 12 s interval, find each of the following.

(a) displacement (solved)
    magnitude = 61 m
    direction = 55 degrees north of west

(b) average velocity (solved)
    magnitude =5.08 m/s
    direction = 55 degrees north of west

(c) average acceleration
    magnitude = ??? m/s^2
    direction = ??? degrees north of east

6. A ball rolls horizontally off the edge of a tabletop that is 2.00 m high. It strikes the floor at a point 1.57 m horizontally away from the table edge. (Neglect air resistance.)

(a) How long was the ball in the air?
    ??? s

(b) What was its speed at the instant it left the table.
    ???

I am sorry there are so many, I got the majority of them but was very confused on these. At first I thought I new how to do 6 but then I realized that I didn't have the instant velocity in the x direction. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    I have answered all except question 5 part c. I got the acceleration, and the angle, but I cannot figure out the magnitude of the average acceleration. Any help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook