Vectors: air speed, ground speed

In summary, the question involves an airplane with an air speed of 120 km/h heading due north and a wind blowing due east at 50 km/h. The ground speed of the plane is found by using the Pythagorean theorem, resulting in a ground speed of 130 km/h. The website referenced in the conversation provides an incorrect answer of 60 km/h with no explanation.
slakedlime
[SOLVED] Vectors: air speed, ground speed

I'm having trouble drawing the diagram for this question.

Homework Statement

An airplane with air speed 120 km/h is heading due north in a wind blowing due east at 50 km/h. What is the ground speed of the plane?

Homework Equations

Pythagoras theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my version of the diagram with this message. I used the Pythagoras theorem since the wind blowing due east and the plane headed north meet at 90 degrees.

ground speed = sq. root {(120^2 + 50^2)}
= 130 km/h

The answer is supposed to be 60 km/h. Can someone please help or tell me where I went wrong? Thank you!

Attachments

• vector.jpg
    vector.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,142
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ground speed = sq. root {(120^2 + 50^2)}
= 130 km/h
That is correct. The vectors are additive and the Pythagorean theorem applies since the wind is blowing due E of the plane traveling N.

If the plane was just taveling due north with a wind speed of 120 km/h in still air, its ground speed would be 120 km/h. Only if there was a head wind of 60 km/h would it's ground speed by 60 km/h.

Where did one find that the answer would be 60 km/h?

The website indicates the incorrect answer.

The air speed is due north at 120 km/h, the wind blow perpendicular (due E) at 50 km/h. Adding the vectors, gives a resultant 130 km/h, with respect to the ground.

I was thinking that, but I needed to be sure since the site didn't offer an explanation. Again, thank you! :smile:

1. What is the difference between air speed and ground speed?

Air speed is the speed at which an aircraft is moving through the air, while ground speed is the speed at which the aircraft is moving relative to the ground below. Air speed is affected by wind and air density, while ground speed is affected by the aircraft's air speed and the direction and strength of the wind.

2. Why is ground speed sometimes lower than air speed?

Ground speed can be lower than air speed when the aircraft is flying into a headwind. This means that the wind is blowing in the opposite direction of the aircraft's movement, causing it to move slower relative to the ground.

3. How is air speed measured?

Air speed is measured using an air speed indicator, which uses a pitot tube to measure the pressure of the air moving over the aircraft's surface. This pressure is then converted into air speed using mathematical equations.

4. Why is air speed important for pilots?

Air speed is important for pilots because it helps them determine the aircraft's performance and stability. It also helps them make decisions about fuel consumption, flight duration, and navigation.

5. Can air speed and ground speed ever be the same?

Yes, air speed and ground speed can be the same when the aircraft is flying in a completely still air mass. This is known as zero wind conditions. However, in most cases, there will be some difference between the two speeds due to wind and other factors.