1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors: air speed, ground speed

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Vectors: air speed, ground speed

I'm having trouble drawing the diagram for this question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An airplane with air speed 120 km/h is heading due north in a wind blowing due east at 50 km/h. What is the ground speed of the plane?

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagoras theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attached my version of the diagram with this message. I used the Pythagoras theorem since the wind blowing due east and the plane headed north meet at 90 degrees.

ground speed = sq. root {(120^2 + 50^2)}
    = 130 km/h

The answer is supposed to be 60 km/h. Can someone please help or tell me where I went wrong? Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That is correct. The vectors are additive and the Pythagorean theorem applies since the wind is blowing due E of the plane traveling N.

If the plane was just taveling due north with a wind speed of 120 km/h in still air, its ground speed would be 120 km/h. Only if there was a head wind of 60 km/h would it's ground speed by 60 km/h.

Where did one find that the answer would be 60 km/h?

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
  5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The website indicates the incorrect answer.

The air speed is due north at 120 km/h, the wind blow perpendicular (due E) at 50 km/h. Adding the vectors, gives a resultant 130 km/h, with respect to the ground.

6. Oct 17, 2007 #5
    I was thinking that, but I needed to be sure since the site didn't offer an explanation. Again, thank you! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?