1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve for vectors components

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car drives north at 48mi/h for 10 min and then turns east and goes 5.0 mi at 66mi/h . Finally, it goes southwest at 36mi/h for 6.0 min.

Determine the car's displacement.

Assume that the positive x and y axes are directed to the east and north, respectively.
    Answers should be in x and y components of the resultant

2. Relevant equations
    x component aka i hat lies in the x axis
    y component aka j hat lies in the y axis

3. The attempt at a solution
    since the car is going north at that velocity. the magnitude of that vector is 8 mi. When the car goes east, the magnitude is given as 5.0mi. when the car moves southwest, the magnitude is 3.6mi.

Not sure if the graph is right but I thought I get feedback on it.

vector_zps56d5285d.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    The total displacement is merely the sum of the given vectors. Write each vector in terms of its components. Note that a direction like southwest implies a 45 degree angle between south and west, this should help you write the components.

To find a vector component in a direction, you need to know the angle between the vector and that direction.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    correct...

so plot these on graph paper, tail to head [ector arrow point], and connect the final head to the origin....the length is your final magntiude and the angle you measure relative to horizontal records the orientation. ..so for example, go 8 up [vertical], from there 5 down and to the right at 45 degrees 5, then horizontal right from there 3.6....

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4
    I thought it was 5 horizontal right and 3.6 down left. Thanks for the feedback. i added a picture on what I did with the vector components. I feel super stuck on this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook